when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, it says you added raisins but want to know if along with the grape skins pack in primary, or secondary?

In the secondary

Even though it was all done in an open face container the raises were added in the secondary is always all additives should be added in the secondary with the exceptions of oak and wine tannin , and even they can go either way it's all a matter of your preference, remember, it's like making a sauce you have the base and then you have your seasonings, got it!:u

Once again, a very nice tutorial Joe and Kate. I have really benefited from the pictorials y'all have done. Saved me from many mistakes for sure.cheers!

Last edited:
How's the taste of your Amarone so far at this young stage?

Amarone the final product

THIS kit for me was excellent in ever manner it allow me to manufacture the kit as read but accepted my enhancements accordingly and finished in the prescribed time frame ,for all the BIG BOLD ITALIAN wine drinkers out there the is a quality kit to have in your collection in every way....................looking forward to producing the next one.

YOURS JOE AND KATE:mny

Amarone final pic (1).jpg

Amarone final pic (2).jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port revised

NOW THAT THE AMARONE kit is completed will resume the coffee port by CRU......................:db GO THE VINLAND COMPETITION THREAD THE SANGIOVESE IS RUNNING THEIR FROM FRONT TO BACK

Cru Coffee Port Kit

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

Last edited:
Cru caramel and coffee port cont.

REMEMBER BOTH THE COFFEE AND CAMAMEL PORT STYLE WINES HAVE THE SAME BASE WE WILL SHOULD YOU HOW TO ENHANCE THEM IN 2 WEEKS.....................:i

11 pitch yeast.jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (1).jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (2).jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (3).jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (4).jpg

winexpert Cabernet Sauvignon

this will be the next kit we explore,are tweeks this time ,we are going to make our own grape fpac ok of black corithin grapes.

so lets get you aquainted with them now.

BLACK CORINTH GRAPES

If you've ever had currant buns, or any other baked product with "currants" in them, you, like 99.9% of the public, thought the "currants" were the little red fruits that grow on bushes. Nope.
The dried "currants" used in baking are actually a true raisin, a dried grape. Called "currants" because one of the names of the grape they come FROM is "Zante Currant" also known as Black Corinth, and many other names, THIS is the variety dried INTO "currants" that are used in baking.
Black Corinth is the name you will usually find it under in America, though in recent years it has become known as "the Champagne grape" due to advertising by a produce dealer who specializes in it. Ironically, there is an old American grape called "Champagne" that is a very coarse, rough tasting labrusca grape of low quality, about as far FROM Champagne as you could get.
Black Corinth is a very odd grape in many ways. In it's natural state, the clusters have very few berries and they are hardly bigger than pinheads. In wild grapes, the sexes are in separate vines, male flowers on one, female flowers on another. This is true even in wild Vitis vinifera, the classic grape of commerce. Black Corinth is an "almost male" in that the flowers have well developed anthers, and very tiny ovaries, probably representing a first step towards evolution of a perfect flowered grape. Hence, when it does set fruit, there are only a few per cluster and the berries are tiny and seedless. However, the variety was doubtless kept as a source of pollen so that the female flowered varieties would set full crops.
How did Black Corinth come to be used at all, if the berries are so few and tiny?
It's a very old variety, probably Greek, and the story goes that a donkey was tied to a vine of it and the animal started going around the vine until the halter rope rubbed the bark off. Instead of dying, the vine healed the wound and the grapes, which were minuscule in other years, were large enough to eat after the vine was girdled. There is certainly a grain of truth in the fable as girdling was a standard practice in increasing the set and size of seedless grapes until the discovery of the plant hormone gibberellic acid and it's ability to do the same thing with less labor.
Girdling, or hormone treatment, causes the clusters to set full crops, though the berries are still tiny. Because the stems also remain tiny, the berries can be eaten with the stems on. This makes the variety seem very dainty and rather glamorous (thanks especially to articles showing frosted clusters of them with glasses of champagne - hence the "champagne" grape) and home growers who have seen this decide that Black Corinth would be fun to grow., which is too bad because it's NOT a home grower's grape.
First, of over 200 varieties in my collection, it is the most susceptible to powdery mildew. As pure Vitis vinifera, it is also completely susceptible to all the other diseases of grapes - downy mildew, black rot, etc. And since it comes FROM such a mild country, it can't be counted on as being hardy to much more than 0°F. But more than anything else, unless the vine is treated with hormone at bloom time, or girdled, the berries are minuscule and the clusters are straggly. So while it looked romantic in the magazine, it's NOT worth the work for most homeowners. Buy the fruit in the store, if you must, but don't bother trying to grow it.
Black Corinth - the grape that's a Currant (Zante) that's a grape.

FROM A TASTE PROSPECTIVE THEY ARE GRAPEY AND EARTHY AT THE SAMETIME VERY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I HAVE WORKED WITH BEFORE,BUT WHERE ONLY GOING TO WORK WITH A LARGE HANDFULL and DO A FRESH CRUSH ....STICK AROUND WERE GOING TO TURE THIS CAB INTO A SUPER CAB.

Black_Corinth_picture.jpg

corinth grapes 3.jpg

Corinth picture.jpg

Last edited:
grapes???

WHILE I was shopping the other day I noticed them at a dollar a box ,my planning for Kate was to either make the cab or the pino, the fpac seamed logical so I picked them up vacuumed sealed them and placed them in the freezer waiting for their role in this play. REMEMBER this is going to be just like the fpac in the high end kit just big enough to do the job.:mny

joe, it would be nice to start the cab on a new thread....easier to follow.

Winexpert cabernet sauvignon

GEEK,THE THRERAD WILL BE RIGHT HERE ,I NEEDED TO INTRODUCE THE GRAPE TYPE BEING USED AN SOME HISTRY ON IT IT WILL GO AS SMOOTH AS THE REST HAVE..............:try

Latest posts

Back