Other When do you start aging ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
When talking about this wine is 12 mo. old. When do you start the clock? Is it from the time you pitch the yeast? When fermentation is complete ? When racking and clearing is done? When it has finished bulk aging? Or when it is bodied?

It would be nice if kits told you when the grapes were picked. Heck, I would even be happy just knowing which varietal were picked!

I am with @Boatboy24. I describe age from adding yeast to take out all the variables.

I generally go with when yeast is pitched. I haven't done a kit in ages but I have 110 lbs of elderberries in the freezer from 2014. Those when made will be a 2015 wine not a 2014 wine.

I have heard generally it would be the vintage in which grapes were picked as well which is usually the same year a yeast is picked.

When I bottle. I make my own labels with a little app called Label Factory Deluxe 4 and print them out. Then when I bottle I annotate the date on the corner with a ball point pen. I could add the date before I print them but I like to add a little something personal on there.

Back