When a Syrah is not a Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillZ

Junior
Reaction score
Can something be going on with my wine that makes it taste like a Syrah. I have 12 gallons of Cabernet that taste nothing like it should taste. It doesn't seem to have a off flavor it just has a dry Syrah like flavor. I am curious if maybe there is a chemical thing going on?

Thanks

What yeast did you use? They are known to contribute heavily to the flavor profile of a wine.

Also, unless you picked the grapes yourself you are at the mercy of whomever did.

Mistakes have been known to happen on occasion when things go from vineyard to cold storage to shipping container to end customer......

Mile that was my thought. Was this a kit or juice or from grapes directly. With a massive amount of grapes being pressed and labeled some could be mislabeled.

If you like it get some Syrah grapes or juice and see if it's the same.

I have a Pinot frigid folks tell me it's not the right color but tastes great. I have done some different juices to see if it was one of them.

All in all if it's good no biggie

Not an expert,but since i make both varietals each year my cab grapes are alot smaller then the syrah grapes do you have a photo you can share.

How long has your wine aged. Perhaps you are tasting a young wine?
Did you use oe of the heavier oaks?

I picked up the grapes at the end of the day and am not familiar with the grower so do not know what other grapes he grows. I used Pasteur red yeast and it was a bit cold so primary fermentation took 12 days. I crushed and started MLF when the brix count was still 2 and used White Labs MLF bugs that come in a test tube. This was different that my ordinary process of waiting out primary fermentation, crushing, racking off the gross lees and then trying to start MLF. I have also used a powdered White Labs product in the past.

Maybe it was something in the new process or the different products used. If it is something funky that has gotten into the wine would filter pumping it help?

Thanks

I will admit that I am not a pro but I am on my 5th vintage and this had me stumped. I have been tasting the wine every couple of weeks and the Syrah flavor did not seem to be going anywhere.

Last night I decided to splash rack and then aerate the heck out of it. Two things that have worked for me in the past when flavors were not right. Voila my wine is now tasting like a 4 month old Cabernet rather then a Syrah. Next week I get my Buon Vino pump and am looking forward to seeing how that effects things.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back