What's your house wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good solid (lovable) wine that doesn't HAVE to be aged so I can leave those others in the cellar for a few years.

So what's yours? :br

I'm looking for a good solid (lovable) wine that doesn't HAVE to be aged so I can leave those others in the cellar for a few years.

So what's yours? :br

Ken Ridge Classic Merlot.

Steve

Well I'm sure I will catch some slack for this because most will tell you that all reds must age and for the most part I would agree. I am sure my recipe will improve with age however I can tell you from many impatient splurges that it is also good young.
Quick, Simple, easy,
50/50 mix Welch Black Cherry-Concord grape Juice and Welch White Grape-Cherry Juice

3 gallon Recipe below
3 t Yeast Nutrient
7.5 C Sugar (Inverted)
1.5 t Pectic Enzyme
3 t Acid Blend
1.5 t Yeast Energizer
9.5 C Water
1 gallon Welch Black Cherry / Concord Juice
1 gallon Welch White Grape / Cherry Juice
1.5 t Potassium Sorbate
3 Campden Tablet (crushed)
1 T Sparkolloid
5c sugar inverted (back sweeten)

6 weeks from start to bottle, then 6 weeks bottle ageing then enjoy, I do have some set aside with a do not open till 2013 sign on the box. As I mentioned, I am sure it will be better with age but it is good young.

I have never had a "Kosher wine" however I have been told by several people that this taste similar to a "Kosher Wine"
I can tell you that I like it

0331121306.jpg

I always have at least one (usually all 3) of these 3 wines on hand. Most people like all of them--that's part of what makes a "house wine", right? People like to drink it?

They need just 3-4 months of aging. Some improvement with more aging, of course, but drinkable in 3-4 months:
  • Skeeter Pee (can't believe 10 people didn't mention Lon's invention).
  • Peach wine (using Welch's White Grape/Peach frozen concentrate), and backsweetened with a can per gallon (I think that's right) of WWG/PFC.
  • Vanilla wine (using White Grape Frozen Concentrate and vanilla beans.).
Sometimes I'll oak the vanilla wine to kick it up a notch. I'll use this wine for topping off; imparts a vanilla element into the wine.

Jim

Blackcherry/Concord is SWMBO's favorite. They changed the ingredients a year or so ago - now contains apple and pear juice, so I picked up a bunch of Knudsen's 'Just Black Cherry' at Costco. I have three batches maturing now; with straight concord, with apple and another one I forget what it is.

Anyway, blackcherry/concord is great. The original, pre-ingredient change batch was good at 9mos, very good at 18mos and excellent at 2 years. Only one bottle survived 2 years aging :)

You're gonna make me try this kit yet Steve :)
I'm not saying it's the best out there, or the best young. But if you like Merlot, it's petty decent.

My favourite Merlot was discontinued (damn you Vineco :p) a few years ago, and I haven't really found another one.

Steve

I'm not saying it's the best out there, or the best young. But if you like Merlot, it's petty decent.

Who doesn't like Merlot.. Sure it's middle of the road and the snobs like to trash talk it because it's cheap and familiar and abundant. Not liking Merlot is like not liking Pizza, or Sex. That's just crazy talk ;)

I am a little reluctant to say what my "house wine" is because the last time the term was used on the forum, it caused a firestorm. Let me just say the name would be the answer to the question, "When apples ripen, what color do 'dey go?" :)

I'm leaning towards a Cellar Craft Barbera. I know, i know... most people would age it AT LEAST 6 months. I love this stuff, aged or not. And it's not cheap. But I look at it this way... am I worth a $5 bottle of vino?

Does anyone like the WE California Trinity Red to call it their house wine?

Latest posts

Back