Whats wrong with my grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkbelly

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, we have 12 pinot noir grapes; this is the 4th year since planting. Leaves just started coming in about 2 weeks ago and in the last week a lot of the leaves are hurting:IMG_20200516_152719.jpgIMG_20200516_152712_1.jpg
Perhaps a nutrient deficiency?

Thanks in advance!

They have not. However, last year we had a different problem. It was the first year we let them fruit and mid-season the fruit seemed to die and get covered by some kind of fungus.. The first two years they looked great.

@pinkbelly , I wonder if it could be a bit of pierce. Pinot Noir is one of the most susceptible varieties to pierce Disease. If it is pierce i don't think there is much you can do except try planting a variety that has more tolerance/resistance to pierce disease. You might send in some petiole samples to your local Ag extension and see if they can find any traces in them.

Is that black plastic or landscape fabric? The root system in the 4th year will be larger that the area exposed and if its plastic, they could be dying from thirst. If it's PD, then basically leaves will present in much the same way as lack of water (which is what PD does to the vine). Lando is right, get it tested as if it's PD you need to know.

Yes, it is black plastic, been down for a few weeks to kill weeds. I would surprised if they are dying from thirst; we are in Edmonds, WA and it hasn't been overwhelming dry. However, I have not watered them.. Any suggestions where I can take a sample to get tested for PD?

First, I'd peel up the plastic to see if it helps. From what I've read, PD is not an issue in the northwest area as some think it's too cool. It's more predominate in southern areas. There are labs in CA that may help. There is a ton of information available on the internet. Here is a PDF of your consideration.

Attachments

• Diagnostic Tests for Xylella fastidiosa.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back