What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have that on CO2 or Nitrogen?

CO2. Still really smooth. Some day when I retire and have lot's of money I'll invest in an NO2 system since Stouts are my second favorite beer. A nice young Bitter made with a ton of kettle hops is my favorite, and the reason I purchased the draft system almost 20 years ago.

Varis, that looks really good!

Bought a Nebbiolo to try out. Have been thinking about the Eclipse kit and wanted to give the grape a taste test. This one has been rated pretty well in the past, so I took a chance and purchased a bottle. I think the tab at the store said either 90 or 91 WS points, not that you can ever depend on that.

It has a nose of sour cherries and alcohol, not much else. My sense of smell might still be messed up from my bathroom cleaning fiasco yesterday. The taste is like a good Chianti, cherries, cherries and more sour cherries. Some darker fruits are lurking in the finish. Not too much oak and very smooth. Finish is very dry and the tannins are soft and don't over assert themselves.

Very enjoyable with our pasta dinner tonight. Complemented the flavors, didn't overpower the food or get overpowered by the food. Guess I could try and spend more than $25 on a bottle, but if the Eclipse kit would come out like this, I'd be happy. If I want something in my face I could make a Shiraz or Syrah. Overall I am really enjoying this wine.

1-31-16_nebbiolo.jpg

Sampling my 2013 Petite Sirah. My first wine from grapes, it is a little high in acid (from taste at least - I haven't tested it in a long time). I'm going to blend a little of this with my 2014 Amador Zinfandel. Bench trials are very positive and I'm excited to see what the combo brings in the coming months.

Not really sure what I'm drinking..... Found a bottle in the back of the wine cellar with no label. It's full bodied, nicely integrated fruit, little less oak than I'd like, no kit taste at all. Must've run out of labels or had too many glasses while bottling. What the heck, tastes good to me!!

Sampling my 2013 Petite Sirah. My first wine from grapes, it is a little high in acid (from taste at least - I haven't tested it in a long time). I'm going to blend a little of this with my 2014 Amador Zinfandel. Bench trials are very positive and I'm excited to see what the combo brings in the coming months.

That may be the right candidate for blending with my high PH Petite Syrah.....:db

That may be the right candidate for blending with my high PH Petite Syrah.....:db

I'll have to measure again. My log says the pH was 3.8 at crush, and 3.56 at bottling. But that was with my pHep 5 meter, with which I have a love-hate relationship. Or, maybe my taste buds were a little off yesterday. I've been drinking a lot of Zinfandel of late (for compares as I'm doing my final prep to bottle the 2014), so maybe the little tasters have been skewed.

Off topic.........I was thinking not to make any wine this spring (maybe moving plans this year....not sure yet), but then was wondering about a small batch of Zinfandel to do a bit of blending with this PS, we'll see....

Tonight we had a Don Amado Dry Chardonnay by Varis/Geek, excellent! He gave this bottle when he visited us during the holidays. Paired with home made Turkey Pot Pie. Roy &Dawn ps the label came off some where on the 1200 mi road trip!

image.jpeg

Tonight we had a Don Amado Dry Chardonnay by Varis/Geek, excellent! He gave this bottle when he visited us during the holidays. Paired with home made Turkey Pot Pie. Roy &Dawn ps the label came off some where on the 1200 mi road trip!

Thanks Roy, glad you really liked it.

Just the patina on the bottle lets you know this one has been in the cellar awhile. 2013 vintage, bottled and stacked in early 2014. Should go good with grilled mozzarella cheese sandwiches tonight.

The oldest bottle of wine in my house is NO MORE! I am drinking a 2005 Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Cab Sauv. This is about the last of my experiment on aging cheap wine. This was about an $8 bottle of wine when I bought it approx. 8 years ago. It has held up okay, although it is clearly past its prime. Upon opening, it seemed a bit tight and a bit oxidized. As it has opened up, it has smoothed out a lot; I get a pleasant, mildly fruity nose, a mild, mellow mid-palate, and now getting some cherry on the finish.

I predict that by tomorrow (if any is left) it will be totally shot (oxidized). I did give it a squirt of k-meta solution to help it fight off the O2 poison for the night.

A 9 month Cab.Sauv. VDV that I've tinkered with these past years and have found to be one of my go to Cabs.

We had a 2010 Spiced Apple Wine, lightly oaked. Awesome. I never really thought this wine would still be good 5&1/2 years later when e made it. I think I'm going to re-cork few bottles & try them at 8, 9, 10 yrs out. Roy

Not anything I have made , but I enjoy reading about your posts, drinking the wine you all have graciously made.
I look forward to drinking my own.

Not the oldest bottle of wine in my house..... I am drinking a 2010 Sparkman "Ruckas" Red Mountain Syrah!

94pts WS. This is nowhere near the last of my experiment on aging fantastic WA State wines! This was about a $38 bottle of wine when I bought it approx. 4 years ago. It has held up beautifully, although it is clearly still just a baby. Upon opening and decanting for an hour, it seemed a bit awesome and a bit overwhelming.....

As it has opened up, it has expanded exponentially and opened up to unheard of depths; It opens spicy and full of personality, with mineral and pepper accents to the very polished, ripe plum and blackberry fruit, all lingering effortlessly on the long, long, expressive finish......

I predict that by tomorrow (if any is left) it will be still be totally AMAZING with even more notes that are not showing tonight.

I did NOT give it a squirt of k-meta solution to help it fight off the O2 poison for the night as their will be nothing left for tomorrow! :)

IMG_0939.jpg

Last edited:
This is nowhere near the last of my experiment on aging fantastic WA State wines!

Gosh, that writing style sounds so familiar, and yet the subject is so foreign to me..... :?

As it happens, I did manage to keep a glass for today. Still lovely (although, obviously still past its prime). The continued oxidation has rendered it, not awful, but into cherry cough medicine territory. Much better than a sharp stick in the eye, but it has not "opened up to unheard of depths"!!

Latest posts

Back