What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, with dinner we had a 2012 Cline Syrah, which is a really good value. A bit spicy, a bit gamey, and very nice overall.

However, the bigger impression was left by the wine that I was bottling. I bottled a CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot. It is fantastic already. It is only 6 months from pitching yeast, but it is already lush, smooth, round, and a bit tannic, with vanilla notes. I am thrilled.

Paul: Any mods to that Walla Walla?

We were out last night and I went with the Louis Martini Cabernet. It's a good value (if you're not buying it at a restaurant :)).

Paul: Any mods to that Walla Walla?

We were out last night and I went with the Louis Martini Cabernet. It's a good value (if you're not buying it at a restaurant :)).

The only tweaks were: yeast (D254) and nutrients, and that I added 8 g of Tannin FT Rouge in primary. This kit came with plenty of oak (60 g chips, 100 g cubes), so I didn't add any more oak or finishing/cellaring tannins.

Yes, I believe it was Kim (Vernsgal) who turned me on to Louis Martini. It agree it's a good value (for home consumption!).

However, the bigger impression was left by the wine that I was bottling. I bottled a CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot. It is fantastic already. It is only 6 months from pitching yeast, but it is already lush, smooth, round, and a bit tannic, with vanilla notes. I am thrilled.

I have that CC Walla Walla Cab.Merlot in mind.
Mike said for him it is actually much better than the CC red mountain cab and cheaper.

Can't wait to get my hands on that one. FVW has it for around $140 or so.

Mike said for him it is actually much better than the CC red mountain cab and cheaper.

Yeah, I would have gotten it even without Mike's recommendation, but that certainly made the decision easier!

How much you paid for yours Paul?
Would be nice to have these CC locally AND cheaper but they only carry WE and RJS.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1416164001.655520.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1416164031.181017.jpg
Perfect after spending 6 hours outside cleaning garage, mowing lawn & leaves in 40 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

That's a good brew, Elmer. I'm enjoying what's left of the Sam Adams Octoberfest right now.

That's a good brew, Elmer. I'm enjoying what's left of the Sam Adams Octoberfest right now.

Nice , I finished off my last octoberfest last week, picked up a 12 of Sam Adams rebel IPA

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Will be another glass of Cab. Sav. from RJS Winery Series which I first tasted a few evenings ago. Kit was started about 8 months ago and was bulk aged about 3 1/2 months and bottled age 3 months. Great as is and suspect it will get even better as it bottle ages even more.

I checked my other notes. I now recall it is not easy to find. My LHBS, which is Northern Brewer, carries many CC Showcase kits, but not that one. I bought it from a place in Florida (not THAT place in Florida) called Brewer's Cellar. However, they no longer seem to carry any kits at all.

Great that you found it from George ($136). Maybe I should pick another one up -- although I had already planned my next two kits... :?

Found a 2008 Sparkman "Ruckus" Syrah in the cellar and paired it with Slow Cooked Short Ribs over smashed potatoes. This wine was rated 94pts WS and was a perfect pairing. WA State has some amazing Syrah's and this was just another fine example of it. Highly recommended all the way around!

193499.jpg

Found a 2008 Sparkman "Ruckus" Syrah in the cellar and paired it with Slow Cooked Short Ribs over smashed potatoes. This wine was rated 94pts WS and was a perfect pairing. WA State has some amazing Syrah's and this was just another fine example of it. Highly recommended all the way around!

193499.jpg

Mike, The 2011 vintage is also quite good. In addition to Syrah it has some cab. Spent 16 months in French oak. Bit pricey but then all of the Sparkman Syrah's are pricey.

Latest posts

Back