What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varis, can't believe your younger than me! Dawn & I were married 25 years ago last week. One year longer than you. But wait, my kids are 45 & 44, yours 23, 18, 16? My math must be off!! LOL !! Congrats to you & Adrianna! You have an Awesome family. The food looks awesome too!! Roy & Dawn

Used part of a small bottle of Dornfelder (batch 18b) for London Broil marinate so I had to pour a glass now that the lawn is done, I've eaten (actually I'm an Eaton), and it is a nice ending to a long week off. Work stares me in the face tomorrow, hope this makes it easier to handle, catching up is not pleasant, but I have good job and a good supervisor so that takes the edge off things.

Used part of a small bottle of Dornfelder (batch 18b) for London Broil marinate so I had to pour a glass now that the lawn is done, I've eaten (actually I'm an Eaton), and it is a nice ending to a long week off. Work stares me in the face tomorrow, hope this makes it easier to handle, catching up is not pleasant, but I have good job and a good supervisor so that takes the edge off things.

Craig, that's the red you gave me right? Went great with burritos (pretty sure I texted you that) and the half glass or so left over from supper was pleasantly enjoyed just sittin and chillin while watching some TV.

Craig, that's the red you gave me right? Went great with burritos (pretty sure I texted you that) and the half glass or so left over from supper was pleasantly enjoyed just sittin and chillin while watching some TV.

Yes, that is the wine I gave you. Hopefully in the fall I'll give you a more oaked version. It had an off taste (that I think comes naturally with the varietal it is) when it was younger. I just wish I had some more (only 5 bottles for the first batch and 5 gallons for the oaked) because it seems to age pretty nicely. I'm hoping my local connection can spare some this year as I think it is a variety that has a lot of potential. I'm glad you enjoyed it, as I know you prefer dry reds. I just finished a glass and calling it time for beddy-bye.

Re: tweaks. My notes say: "Used ICV-D254 and 3.6 g Nutriferm yeast energizer, plus 8.0 g FT Rouge tannin in primary. Put oak chips (30 g French heavy, 30 g French medium) in weighted cheesecloth bag. SG was 1.096 about 21 hrs after adding grape pack." I also added some Nutriferm Advance yeast nutrient.

Nice find at FVW. I wonder if you got the last one... They now say "Out of Stock."

BTW: mine arrived yesterday; just a few days from the date of my order, despite it being 'out of stock'.

Tonight I had Malbec, Red Blend, Amarosso, Pinot Nior and a Syrah. Just a taste though. Had the luxury of having Boatboy Jim do a tasting of my wines. Too early to bottle anything just needed a professional opinion to see how they were coming along.

When I locate that professional, I'll send 'em your way. :)

When I locate that professional, I'll send 'em your way. :)

You should take the title and own it! "Boatboy24 Jim: Professional home winemaking critic".
@mainshipfred , consider yourself lucky. To have another winemaker taste along the way and make unbiased genuine notes or critiques would be so helpful. Working with just my palate during a horrible allergy season can be difficult.
Anyone I have taste doesn't make wine and doesn't know enough. They will often try and convince themselves they like something even when I know they don't, or shouldn't.
Except my one younger brother. He won't hesitate to be brutally honest.

Oh yeah, what's in the glass. Gin and tonic followed by Lagavullin Scotch Scotch and it was a double. It was one of those kind of days at work. And I work at home.

Yes, I believe it was it was!

That was in case we confused it with the Lagavullin Chinese Scotch. ;) (although maybe he should have said 'Scottish Scotch'?)

Latest posts

Back