What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to have the other half of the bottle of super chilled Skeeter Pee I drank last night.

Opened a 2010 bottle of Smith & Son Pinot Noir. Wife and I agree it's pretty much our favorite commercial wine. For now. Bakervinyard

Rum

I love good rum. A friend brought me a bottle of oak barrel aged rum from Cuba, via Japan.

20140308_194339_LLS.jpg

Very smooth.

RR

Last night was the one scheduled exception to my giving up drinking for Lent. And boy, did it count. We started with "New Age": a barely off dry, mildly sparkling blend of 90% Torrontes and 10% Sauvignon Blanc. Surprisingly good. It came in a regular, clear screw top bottle and I didn't even realize it had bubbles until I opened it. But everyone really enjoyed it. My non-wine drinking wife even wanted a second glass. We then moved on to "Sophia": Coppola's Pinot Rose. With dinner, we enjoyed a La Crema Pinot Noir, then had a little Orange Chocolate Port with dessert.

Drank 1/2 a bottle of my EP super Tuscan.
Was damn good!
Made me fuzzy & warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

At our wedding, the hubby and I did a wine ceremony where we blended a white and a red. We also used 1 bottle of each and used them as guest books.

Today was our anniversary and we recreated our wine ceremony.

His red was a 2010 Crane Lake Sangiovese, my white was a 2011 Crane Lake Moscato.

One year later, EVERYTHING is better. Even better blended!

Also, we've each found that our tastes have changed. He used to be hardcore on the dry wines and I on the sweets... Who knew...

Oh, and we also really enjoyed the top part of our wedding cake. Even after a year in the freezer, it was great! I <3 devil's food with raspberry ganache!

Sent from my LT30at using Wine Making mobile app

WP_000576.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight is a 2005 Ravenswood Vintner's Blend California Cabernet Sauvignon. That's right, an $8 bottle of wine that is 9 years old. It is part of the experiment I started a long time ago of seeing if cheap commercial wines can be improved by aging. This one is quite good, but perhaps just a bit past its prime. The fruit has receded, it is spicy and somewhat complex. You could easily convince me this is from, say, Napa.

However, I find that these old, cheapies do not hold up well after opening for even a day. Oxidation seems to set in rapidly. I wonder if this is just because the sulfites have long ago left the building, and perhaps a spritz of k-meta could hold it up overnight? Any opinions?

Split bottle of my WE Savignon Blanc with my wife. We bottled it last weekend. It's a darn good wine. Went great with scallops.

The Mrs. and I shared the first 750ml of recently bottled WE selection Viogner. I'ts tasty, I'm glad we pitched another 6 gallons earlier today.

I had a bottle of my "house red," viz., Seven Deadly Zins open. I also opened a $5 bottle of Frontera Concho y Toro Carmenere (from Chile) to top off my Rosso Fortissimo. I really like the Carmenere, but it is just a little thin. The 7 Deadly Zins., on the other hand, is pretty robust. So, I started experimenting with blending them. The result was very nice. Complex, mineral, jammy, spice.... Very nice.

Ooooh!! I LOVE 7 deadly zins!!!
I love Zinfandel in general. Sometimes, when it's cold out, I'll warm it up at night before bed. Just delicious!!!:p

Last edited:
Tonight was a 2005 7 Deadly Zins. It was really nice -- it has held up beautifully over the last 8 or so years. The fruit receded a touch, and it tasted of raisins, figs, and leather. Exquisite. Sadly, I only have one of the 2005 left.

Chateau du Grand Carretey
2011 Sauternes
375ml

Made with botrytis-infected grapes; a very nice combination of honey, some tropical fruit notes, and a hint of something apple/pear-ish. It's a dessert wine, but has very nice balance between the 13% ABV and the residual sweetness.

Will probably buy it again
Worth the $12

Chateau du Grand Carretey
2011 Sauternes
375ml

Made with botrytis-infected grapes; a very nice combination of honey, some tropical fruit notes, and a hint of something apple/pear-ish. It's a dessert wine, but has very nice balance between the 13% ABV and the residual sweetness.

Will probably buy it again
Worth the $12

Thanks for all the info !!

An extra large dry martini - dirty.

Goes well with the subtitled Kung Fu movie we're watching :)

Latest posts

Back