What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken paprikas, another childhood favorite, served on homemade egg dumplings.

About 20 years ago I tried to make it healthier by not using lard or sour cream or heavy cream and I removed the skin from the chicken. It sucked.

View attachment 108283
I am going to say something blasphemous... Don't flip out! I have good intentions.

Paprika is not a spice in my world, it is a carrier. For example I use it as the base for my rubs to give them bulk, but the majority of the flavor is what I add to it and that all rides on the foundation that is paprika..

Now to calm you all down, I am talking bulk everyday grocery store paprika. Not sweet, Hungarian, or any other (quality) variety. SO, being a guy that likes to be proven wrong and learn a new perspective I was hoping someone might share a link to a high quality paprika that you use, and @BigDaveK, if you would share your chosen recipe and a link to what you use, I will make this and see if I can't find a greater appreciation for what my mind is telling me is gong to be lacking excitement.

Not to put any pressure on making you prove your dish worthy, I have just seen this mentioned a few times and I would like to learn to appreciate it, but I know what I have in the cupboard is going to make it about as exciting as mud.

I am going to say something blasphemous... Don't flip out! I have good intentions.

Paprika is not a spice in my world, it is a carrier. For example I use it as the base for my rubs to give them bulk, but the majority of the flavor is what I add to it and that all rides on the foundation that is paprika..

Now to calm you all down, I am talking bulk everyday grocery store paprika. Not sweet, Hungarian, or any other (quality) variety. SO, being a guy that likes to be proven wrong and learn a new perspective I was hoping someone might share a link to a high quality paprika that you use, and @BigDaveK, if you would share your chosen recipe and a link to what you use, I will make this and see if I can't find a greater appreciation for what my mind is telling me is gong to be lacking excitement.

Not to put any pressure on making you prove your dish worthy, I have just seen this mentioned a few times and I would like to learn to appreciate it, but I know what I have in the cupboard is going to make it about as exciting as mud.
Agreed, the grocery store varieties I find add more color than taste!

Tonight Italian delite

Attachments

• 72022379277__43D73BDB-7433-4BEF-9F3D-034ED5BED1B9.jpeg
    72022379277__43D73BDB-7433-4BEF-9F3D-034ED5BED1B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

yo Vinny - paprika mixed with other spices gets totally lost
the smokers - the pit masters use it for color -
if u would put paprika on its on like fries for example -u would taste it
don't say that its no spice to the Turks who got possession from the Italians - who introduced this spice to all of us
now Hungairan paprika comes in 8 different varieties - from color to pungency
now that being said - as long as u don't put pineapple on a pizza - that's blasphemy! - lol!

yo Vinny - paprika mixed with other spices gets totally lost
the smokers - the pit masters use it for color -
if u would put paprika on its on like fries for example -u would taste it
don't say that its no spice to the Turks who got possession from the Italians - who introduced this spice to all of us
now Hungairan paprika comes in 8 different varieties - from color to pungency
now that being said - as long as u don't put pineapple on a pizza - that's blasphemy! - lol!
That is what I mean. I use it for a colour base, but also to stretch a rub. It adds a hint of flavor, but yuou can't taste the junk in the stores, which is why I am asking for some insight into what to try over pulling a blind eye and saying I wont like that. Red bell pepper powder would have WAY more flavor than the 'paprika' I have access to so hopefully someone will share an Amazon link or the like so I can hopefully have a wow moment.

That is what I mean. I use it for a colour base, but also to stretch a rub. It adds a hint of flavor, but yuou can't taste the junk in the stores, which is why I am asking for some insight into what to try over pulling a blind eye and saying I wont like that. Red bell pepper powder would have WAY more flavor than the 'paprika' I have access to so hopefully someone will share an Amazon link or the like so I can hopefully have a wow moment.
i understand what u r laying down
do u have a Herb and Spice store where u live?
ive been to Alberta many times to xc ski - will be doing another trip this year
- i didn't t see any in Calgary ?? or Edmonton???
i go to this place 2 times a year to load up on my spices -all in bulk - he has thee most amazing paprika - the smell, the taste, - oh amazing - next time i go i will ask the name of it-

Oh yeah, my knee-jerk reaction was to "flip out". After a couple hours I'm better.😇

"Paprika" is one of those spices adulterated by marketing. It seems any dried and ground red pepper will be sold as paprika. The variety of pepper is difficult to find and sometimes they'll say "Hungrian-style". Being aware of what's out there helps. When I buy paprika it's the "Szeged" brand, imported from Hungary, and what's easily available to me now. And honestly, your red bell pepper may be a good substitute.

I've used the recipe from George Lang's "Cuisine of Hungary" for almost (OMG) 40 years. A couple suggestions - even though I'm a pepperhead, a hot paprika will ruin the dish. Also, be more generous with the sour cream. Don't leave out the green pepper. And I usually use chicken thighs rather than breast - the more chicken fat the better, IMO.

The chicken -

chick 1.jpg chick 2.jpg

The dumplings -
dump 1.jpg dump 2.jpg

How much paprika are you using? If something like half a tsp, it's too little. I wasn't joking when I relayed the comment my mom made, that if you can see the chicken, you need more paprika.

My wife purchased a large jar of mass market paprika ... when that's gone, I'm going to buy the good stuff.

Oh yeah, my knee-jerk reaction was to "flip out". After a couple hours I'm better.😇

"Paprika" is one of those spices adulterated by marketing. It seems any dried and ground red pepper will be sold as paprika. The variety of pepper is difficult to find and sometimes they'll say "Hungrian-style". Being aware of what's out there helps. When I buy paprika it's the "Szeged" brand, imported from Hungary, and what's easily available to me now. And honestly, your red bell pepper may be a good substitute.

I've used the recipe from George Lang's "Cuisine of Hungary" for almost (OMG) 40 years. A couple suggestions - even though I'm a pepperhead, a hot paprika will ruin the dish. Also, be more generous with the sour cream. Don't leave out the green pepper. And I usually use chicken thighs rather than breast - the more chicken fat the better, IMO.

The chicken -

View attachment 108314 View attachment 108315

The dumplings -
View attachment 108316 View attachment 108317
Thank you for calming yourself before you responded!

I found it on Amazon. I looked yesterday and that brand and one other were the only legit choices and this one being the more 'affordable' choice. Good old McCormick was number one with the reviewers, hopefully we get a little more complexity than that.

I will post it up when it gets on the plate!

Thank you for calming yourself before you responded!

I found it on Amazon. I looked yesterday and that brand and one other were the only legit choices and this one being the more 'affordable' choice. Good old McCormick was number one with the reviewers, hopefully we get a little more complexity than that.

I will post it up when it gets on the plate!
My vitriolic response directed towards you, your neighbors, the population of Canada, your ancestors and descendants probably would have got me banned. 😂 A cooler head (aided by wine) prevailed. Phew! Dodged a bullet!

I checked the McCormick paprika. Country of origin is USA. Being Hungarian a mystery pepper grown in the US is a no-go for me.

I grow two actual Hungarian paprika peppers. Dehydrate, vacuum seal, grind just before use. The flavor is explosive!

Also... we use (just about exclusively) smoked paprika.

For anyone wanting to try Air Fryer Smoked Paprika Tofu...

Press Extra Firm Tofu for at least 20 mins to remove excess water. There's a contraption for this, or, put a block in some toweling and place a heavy pot or skillet on it to press the water out.

While waiting, combine:
1 tsp smoked paprika​
1 tsp garlic powder​
1 tsp onion powder​
1/4 tsp black pepper​
1/2 tsp salt​
1 TBS sesame oil​
1 TBS rice wine vinegar​
1 TBS Tamari or Soy Sauce​

Dice the Tofu into 1/2" cubes and toss in the above sauce. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.

Preheat the Airfryer to 360F and then add the cubes. "Fry?" for 16 minutes. Shake them up halfway through. Longer for drier / crispier.

I wasn't a huge fan of Tofu, but this is delicious. We learned that using extra firm tofu and pressing it were key to something that turned out well formed with a nice texture and not wet or mushy. We're going to try freezing it first next, some say it turns out like the texture of chicken. There are a lot of recipes out there as well, I adapted the above for an Italian Parmesan version.

This one, however, speaks well to smoked paprika much like it's used in paprika chicken.

Latest posts

Back