What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs. WM81 is making pies (apple and pumpkin), and I'm making Double Cranberry-Apple Sauce.

It's a simple recipe, although I made it a bit more difficult by changing how I process the lemon. The original recipe calls for slicing a whole lemon thinly, but the pith tends to add bitterness to the sauce. So I zested the lemon, used a sharp knife to slice off most of the path, then quartered and sliced the lemon. Zest + lemon go into the saucepan. I expect this will work out better.

Double Cranberry-Apple Sauce – Bryan's Cooking Site

We always buy a Thanksgiving turkey that is WAY too large for the number of attendees. Why? Leftovers!

A tradition I started when my sons were pre-teens was turkey soup. I stuff the turkey with onion for roasting, debone the bird while it's hot (easier to eat, leftovers take up less room in the fridge), and boil the carcass. Roasted onions, boiled with everything else, add great flavor. This one also had a 1 cup of leftover giblet broth that wasn't needed for the dressing.

This year my younger son asked me to make egg noodles, which is a chore. After spending 3 hours in the yard working, I was not up to it ... so I cheated ... I made spaetzle, which is far easier!

soup-1.jpg

Making the soup is easy -- bring the stock to a simmer. In my case it's always too thick so it congeals somewhat in the fridge over night, and I have to thin it. Add sliced celery and let it simmer 10 minutes, then add the chopped turkey, carrots, and dried parsley, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

soup-2.jpg

When adding carrots I check seasoning, it usually needs some salt.

soup-3.jpg

Our first post-Thanksgiving meal that did NOT involve turkey!!!

I flattened chicken breast and stuffed with Brie and a creamy Gorgonzola, then oven baked. Served with pancakes made from leftover mashed potatoes, and leftover butternut squash.

View attachment 107898

Looks very good. But I'm a little surprised you chose chicken as a respite from turkey! :)

Turkey Day dinner was followed by one big meal of leftovers. Then two days of sliced turkey sandwiches for lunch. Next came two days of turkey salad sandwiches for lunch. Then a meal and a couple of lunches of turkey soup. And finally turkey croquettes with fried spaetzle
last night. All from an $8 turkey!

1701264064063.png

Looks very good. But I'm a little surprised you chose chicken as a respite from turkey! :)
Huh. I thought I replied to this.

Anyway, there's a big taste and texture difference between roast turkey and stuffed, oven-fried chicken. Same with last night's Chicken Paprika, which is among the reasons why I made it. Thinking about beef tonight, for a complete change-up.

Well, what's for lunch(es) for the kids. They're very hungry these days and now that football is done they claim it's 'bulking season'. Frankly, this is a lot healthier than the sandwiches we would normally give them, and certainly better than a school lunch.

IMG_1096.jpeg

Latest posts

Back