What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will pay top dollar for a good meatball without any soy listed on the side panel. I should not have to make my own meatballs in 2014!…… They use soy as its a cheap way to add protein (aka meat substitute). The end product taste pretty gross and you get a free side order of gas! :)

I will pay top dollar for a good meatball without any soy listed on the side panel. I should not have to make my own meatballs in 2014!…… They use soy as its a cheap way to add protein (aka meat substitute). The end product taste pretty gross and you get a free side order of gas! :)

LMAO, ok Mike I deserve that. I would love a good recipe for meatballs that was basic. I don't mind baking but I am far from gourmet like you dishes Mike. Now that summer is here I look forward to seeing pictures of some of your grilling dishes.

LMAO, ok Mike I deserve that. I would love a good recipe for meatballs that was basic. I don't mind baking but I am far from gourmet like you dishes Mike. Now that summer is here I look forward to seeing pictures of some of your grilling dishes.

LOL, I am going to try and fire up the smoker pit this weekend. Some ribs and a pork butt. The weather is not wanting to cooperate, supposed to rain most of the weekend but we will take it as we are in a horrible drought still.

May have to put an umbrella over the BBQ pit. Would not be the first time! :)

Sashimi tuna, and all kinds of other great sushi at an amazing Japanese place in the neighborhood. My tummy haz a happy.

Smoked Meats!

I break out the smoker pit at least 2-3 times a year. Memorial Day is one of them. Pork Butt and a couple of slabs of Baby Backs! We had a cool and rainy day but I was able to keep the fire perfect at 225F for a nice low and slow BBQ day! :hug

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Here is what I do. I fond them rather tasty. any suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

3 pounds of meatloaf meat (equal portions ground pork, beef, and Veal)
3 eggs
1 small red bell pepper (finely chopped)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
3 large cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 cup of red wine
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of fennel seed
1 tablespoon of basil
1/2 tablespoon of thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon of dried parsley
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

mix together and rest in fridge for 1 hour. form meatballs in 3 inch diameter balls (rather large) and place into roasting pan. Add a bottle of white wine to the bottom of the pan, cover with tin foil and bake at 275 for 3 or 4 hours. When ready, transfer meatballs into your sauce (leaving behind the fat and spent wine) and continue to cook until dinner time.

The long, slow cooking really make a difference (to me at least)

Last edited:
Did ribs, sausage, and brisket on Sunday.

Made potato salad, pasta salad, and also grilled some Texas toast.

- Here is the meat about to go on the grill after being brazed

- the brisket on the grill It went on first because it takes longer.

- The brisket piled on top of baby back ribs and a vie of the sausage. All getting nice smoke and developing that nice glaze.

IMG_20140525_171013_062.jpg

IMG_20140525_170956_363.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

John I find the frozen Italian meatballs in the grocery store are better than most homemade ones I get. I try to get the best ones I can.

Here you go!

Grandma Josie Maceo’s Meat Balls and Gravy (actually was her mother's recipe, my great grandma, I'm 60, do the math)

Meat Ball Mixture: 1 pound ground meat 2 green onions, chopped, I tablespoon Tex Joy parsley flakes,
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 2 eggs beaten, 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, Olive oil for frying.

Gravy Mixture:
3 1/4 cup onion chopped very fine, 6 tablespoons olive oil, 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste, 32 ounces hot water, 3 tablespoons sugar, I teaspoon TexJoy sweet basil, 1 teaspoon TexJoy oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, I teaspoon TexJoy black pepper 1 1/2 teaspoon TexJoy garlic powder.

Gravy: Saute onion in oil until it looks transparent. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, sweet basil, oregano, salt, black pep¬per and garlic powder and cook over medium low heat, uncovered, stir¬ring occasionally for 1 hour.
Meatballs: Combine meat ball ingredients together and form into balls. Pan fry meat balls in oil until brown on both sides; drop into gravy mixture at low temperature for 1- 1/2 hours uncovered.
Note: Cook 12 ounces of spaghetti and serve with meat balls and gravy. Yield: 5 servings

TexJoy refers to the coffee and spice company we owned since 1923, Texas Coffee Company.

I like your blue Weber, John. Looks like a Performer. I have one in lime green.

Grub looks delish.

Latest posts

Back