What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you missing a comma, or is this a recipe that is as wonderful as it sounds?

No, there was no comma missing and yes they were as wonderful as they sounded.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Loveless Cafe's watermelon ribs[/FONT]​
Yields: 3 cups

For the rub:

1/4 cup seasoning salt
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup black pepper, ground
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup whole oregano, dried

1/8 cup onion powder

3/4 cup Cajun seasoning

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

For the ribs:

2 cups of the rub seasoning
32 ounces BBQ sauce
1 1-lb. watermelon, rind removed

To make the rub:

In a medium bowl, mix by hand the first eight ingredients thoroughly. Add the brown sugar and be sure to "knead" it into the rub until all the larger particles of sugar are well incorporated. The brown sugar, being moist, has a tendency to lump up and therefore will not stay on the meat if not blended well into the rub.

To make the ribs:

Liberally season both sides of the racks of ribs. Cook the ribs until 90-95% done (For me, that meant about 2-2 1/2 hours at 225). You can grill, roast or smoke your ribs, whatever you are comfortable with, though the taste of hickory smoke is preferable and hard to replace. Cut the ribs into three-bone sections.

Place the BBQ sauce sauce into a 4-inch deep roasting pan. Slather the rib sections in the sauce and "shingle" them into a row in the pan. Cut the watermelon into 1-2" cubes and place over the ribs. Cover the pan and place in a slow oven (250 degrees) for approx. 3 hours. Serves 4-6.

Only thing I would warn is maybe cut back on the Cajun Seasoning, I think 1/4 or 1/2 cup is probably enough and that may depend on the Cajun Seasoning you use, I used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning and they were a bit on the spicy side. But they had to be the most juicy, fall-apart, tasty ribs I have ever had. My wife, bonus daughter, potential Son-in-law, and I ate about 2 1/2 full racks of ribs.

View attachment 16022

Fresh caught coho salmon on the grill. Basted with brown sugar and soy sauce. Mmmmm. I tossed some used oak cubes on the coals right before the fish

Mmmmm! That's one of my favourite marinades for salmon. Makes it taste like candy.

With me being in school during the evenings right now, we ended up with pasta and pre-made sauce I had in the freezer. Tasted good and filled everyone up, so I'm not complaining!

It's summer tomato time and the crops are well under way.! I just never get sick of homegrown tomatoes, basil and mozzarella.

760C2ED0-8EAF-4C0D-98B1-96B83C5DB5F7.jpg

Aw , don't be hate'n Rae. :D

You will be enjoying your tomatoes with a nice breeze on the patio while I'll be melting in 95º plus temps and afraid to go out to the patio for fear of being carried off by mosquitos.

I bought wild blue catfish today. Not farm raised. I dredged it in a mixture of cornmeal and almond flour. Then I panfried it in coconut oil. I had a glass of WE Savignon Blanc to accompany the fish. All was well.

Family movie night tonight = a rare opportunity for my kids to splurge on Pizza and Pepsi. They really enjoyed "designing" their own pizza with the new Digiorno design your own pizza kit.

This week is my wife's birthday.

Like most folks, we have this "special occasion" place we like to go to.

Ninety-Acres is a 3 star Michelin rated restaurant and the food there is beyond description. It is located on a 90 acre estate (about 15 minutes from my house) once owned by the king of Morocco. You must make reservations at least 4 months in advance. I was smart enough to make them for this Saturday.

Their wine list is fantastic. They have wines by the glass that are both rare and incredible.

Is it bad that I am looking forward to this more than my wife (the b-day girl)?

OK,

So we (5 of us) did "90 Acres" on Saturday night.

We got there about 45 minutes before our reservation so we could have a few drinks before dinner.

The wine list must have been over 100 pages! I settled in on a nice Rioja that was amazing!, complex, full bodied with a nice developed oak. Truly opened my eyes as to how good Spanish wines can be. For dinner we started with a nice, moderate California pinot noir, but quickly went back to the Rioja on the next couple of bottles.

I started with a Quail appetizer. This dish must have had at least 15 components. It had quail (broken down) that was pan seared with small potato croquets, frizzy greens, bacon, fennel, a game cream sauce, all topped with a quail egg (sunny side up). Amazing! My wife has a wild mushroom risotto.

For an entrée, I had a prime rib, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I know what you are thinking, "That's simple and I can make that at home". All I have to say is.. not like this you can't!!. This was the most tender and tasty prime rib I ever had! Farm raise on the estate, it was like I never ate beef before. My wife had a ham encrusted cod.

For dessert, the table share only one dish. It was a deconstructed carrot cake. The cake was actually carrot cake fritters, coated with a cinnamon sugar. Quenelles of cream cheese mousse and coconut ice cream rounded out the dish.

This place was indescribable. It was not cheap, but I did walk away like I got more than my money's worth.

When my uncle suggested that we go to this place, he was firm on picking up the entire tab. After a lot of effort on my part, I convinced him to at least let me pay for the bar tab, while he pays for the meal. At the end of the evening, we all had a laugh.. The food bill was exactly $2 more than the bar bill! We were feeling pretty good by the time we all got back to my place.

Little bit of everything in the smoker today.

gapu2umu.jpg

Lemon pepper moose roast, deer sausage, apple spare ribs and strip steaks in my kitchen sink sauce. Burgers and hot dogs will be on the grill in no time too.

I love cooking for party's, I get to try all kinds of new stuff out on the unsuspecting.

The kids live out west so it was just my wife and I for Father's Day dinner today. We went to a southern style restaurant called Bluegrass Tavern. For an appetizer we selected homemade pickled vegetables with homemade pimento cheese and crackers. We had a very dry rose That went extremely well. Then I ordered smoked fried chicken on top of southern potato salad. First the chicken was cold smoked and then battered and fried. Interesting and quite tasty. I drank an ice cold glass of pear cider with my chicken. This turned out to be a good pairing, no pun intended. The wife had her usual salmon. She's never to adventurous with food. We had this meal sitting outside as the sun began to set. Just got home and I'm very content. The only thing to make it better would be having the children present. I hope all you fathers had a good day as well.

Today was very wonderful. My daughters tried to take me to a very fancy restaurant in the St. Louis area for brunch. They called during the week and were told, no reservations, we showed up at 10 and were told no tables until 11:30, you should have made reservations. We ended up going to a small chain from the midwest called First Watch. It was wonderful. Both kids got me cards saying thanks for being there when we need you, which certainly means more to me than anything else.

Tonight for supper my wife and I had a Chambourcin we bottled about a month ago. It has a ways to go, yet, but that doesn't totally surprise me and I made wonderful T-Bone steaks with a homemade rub. I am stuffed.

We wound up having a scrumptious, high-end-restaurant quality meal, sort of by accident. I made orange roughy meuniere, but we also happened across a couple of soft shell crabs. I lightly battered these and served with a cilantro/garlic pesto. For the piece de resitance, my wife made a puree of roasted asparagus, leek, and potato that was topped with an unbelievably good gremolata. The gremolata featured fresh tarragon, zest of Meyer lemon, garlic, and fresh parsley. Every time I walked by it, I had to stop and smell it. Simply intoxicating. :r

Washed it down with our semi-standard Cline Viognier.

The kids live out west so it was just my wife and I for Father's Day dinner today. We went to a southern style restaurant called Bluegrass Tavern. For an appetizer we selected homemade pickled vegetables with homemade pimento cheese and crackers. We had a very dry rose That went extremely well. Then I ordered smoked fried chicken on top of southern potato salad. First the chicken was cold smoked and then battered and fried. Interesting and quite tasty. I drank an ice cold glass of pear cider with my chicken. This turned out to be a good pairing, no pun intended. The wife had her usual salmon. She's never to adventurous with food. We had this meal sitting outside as the sun began to set. Just got home and I'm very content. The only thing to make it better would be having the children present. I hope all you fathers had a good day as well.

Yup :)

Note: do not get me wrong, I LOVE battered and fried

Grilled Trout stuffed with lemon, lime, butter, fresh cilantro and basil. Side of wild rice all served with a 2013 Vidal Blanc. Oh also had Mozzarella, Basil, tomato and balsamic vinegar.

1403560107521.jpg

I continue my visit in Seattle. Here is the menu at tonight's restaurant. I think a riesling may be in order.

SALAD
$9.00
Corned Lamb, Mizuna, Spicy Nuoc Cham
$9.00
Smoked Mackerel, Potato, Pickled Goat Horn Pepper, Hot Mustard
$8.00
Escarole, Sunchoke, Date Vinaigrette
DUMPLING
$9.00
Pork, Cilantro, Hot Chili Peanut Oil
$9.00
Short Rib, Shallot, Scallion
$9.00
Smoky Mushroom, Garlic Chive, Sweet Miso
RICE
w/ egg yolk
$14.00
Short Rib, Sambal Daikon, Mustard Green
$13.00
Albacore Tuna, Fennel Kimchi, Escarole
$11.00
Lemongrass Brussel Sprout, Pickled Delicata, Green Curry
NOODLE
$15.00
Roasted Duck, Smoked Tea Noodle, Pickled Raisin, Duck Crackling
$16.00
Dungeness Crab, Seaweed Noodle, Creme Fraiche, Spicy Red Curry
PANCAKE
$10.00
Pork Belly, Kimchi, Bean Sprout
$10.00
Garlic Shrimp, Chermoula, White Bean
$9.00
Potato, Tapenade, Thai Basil

Anyone have other suggestions?

A lot of options there. Tough to pair without narrowing it down a bit, but a Riesling would go well with a lot. Maybe a Viognier.

Back