What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB,

Man, do I LOVE TURKEY!!!!!!

Those pictures look fantastic and man does that bird look nice and plump. Can you give details on your brining technique? How you cooked it??

Also, those beef ribs look amazing! I love when they shrivel off the bone like that! Be they were tender! Need to ask for details on those as well!

The brine is apple juice, oranges, ginger, garlic and other stuff (salt and water, obviously). A typical turkey would go into the brine for ~24 hours, then air dry in the fridge for another 12-24 (to prevent the skin from getting rubbery). I cook them on my smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) and simply try to keep temps above 300 so the skin crisps a little. I'm typically running between 300 and 350. I use a small amount of apple and/or cherry wood for smoke - not too much though. The bird is done when it's done, but this one was 13 lbs and took about 3 hours. I usually take the turkey out of the fridge about an hour before putting it on. During that time, I keep a ziplock bag of ice on the breasts. This keeps their temp down and helps with getting the dark meat and white meat to de done at the same time. Details on the recipe and cooking method can be found at the link below. It is geared toward the Weber, but any cooker at these temps will work. It's great doing this for Thanksgiving - not only does it turn out delicious, but you free up precious oven space.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Ribs were a little simpler. I often make my own rubs/sauce, but went store bought for this one. The ribs were put into Stubbs beef marinade for about 6 hours (I would have gone longer if I had thought to do so). When they came out, one rack was rubbed with Dizzy Pig's "Cow Lick" rub, the other with just salt and pepper (less spicy for the kids). I went high heat with these on the smoker, running about 300 for most of the cook. I used two chunks of cherry wood. About 15 minutes before I took them off, I basted them with Weber's molasses BBQ sauce (http://www.weberseasonings.com/product-detail?id=95).

Yes beef is fine. And for the sidedish we have rice with rosins and apricot sauce. This goes well with a Riesling Auslese from J.J.Pruem #MmmhHH

Dan,

We made this for desert last night for a dinner party. Didn't tell anyone and what a surprise. Everyone loved it. Did you add the lemon yogurt to the cool whip? Nice addition and it helps the cool whip to stay on the sides of the "cake".

The cake itself, was actually watermelon. It turned out awesome, perfect summer time desert.

Dan,

We made this for desert last night for a dinner party. Didn't tell anyone and what a surprise. Everyone loved it. Did you add the lemon yogurt to the cool whip? Nice addition and it helps the cool whip to stay on the sides of the "cake".

It is an awesome summer treat. I made the whip cream as it is so easy to do (it was my first time to do it). I only added my own vanilla extract to it. I was wondering if Cool Whip would stick or not. I blotted the entire watermelon dry first before trying to add the whip cream and I had no problem. It was refrigerated the entire time until we ate it. Then the remainder sat out for an hour or so and none of the cream ran.

I googled and found some ideas like using paper towels to dry the outside before icing the "cake".

It also said you could use cool whip and to add some lemon yogurt as it would help firm up the icing. Not only did it hold up well it gave it another nice dimension in flavor.

Went very well with some Icewine I had on hand!

Fresh peas, some kohlrabi, broccoli all fresh from the garden and the baby back ribs from the last pig we bought. It was perfect after spending the day stumbling though fence lines looking for wild black raspberries. We used some of those to top some ice cream for dessert.

Me and the kids are going with a classic dinner, grilled cheese and Campbell's tomato soup. I've added some baked squash chips too, the garden is overflowing with squash. LOVE it!

Me and the kids are going with a classic dinner, grilled cheese and Campbell's tomato soup. I've added some baked squash chips too, the garden is overflowing with squash. LOVE it!

What kind of squash and how are you baking them? Are you coating them with Olive oil and any seasoning? Lol, I'm sure you noticed but I'm interested in a recipe!

Last edited:
Its just regular yellow summer squash. My dad's garden is full!

There isn't really a recipe per se, it's a dish my Grammar used to make in the summer when I was little. I asked her once for the recipe, and her response was thus:

Well,you cut up your squash to about thus thick. (Little under quarter inch). Then wet the slices with some egg. Then you coat it with a mixture of corn meal and bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese with a little bit of salt and pepper. Spray your pan (I use a pizza pan) with non stick spray, lay the chips on it and bake at 400. She never gave me a time, but I usually cook til they look about half done, turn them and finish baking til they turn golden brown.

Gina, that sounds similar to our breaded zucchini recipe! Mmmmm, one of my summer favs! We would pan fry them though to get extra crispy.

Gina, that sounds similar to our breaded zucchini recipe! Mmmmm, one of my summer favs! We would pan fry them though to get extra crispy.

One could pan fry. I bet it would taster awesome!

Personally, I gave up on any form of fattening foods about 12 years ago, in fact my stomach can't handle any grease or oil. I know I'm missing out on some great eating, BUT I lost 145 pounds and my hubby's cholesterol level went down from stroke level to normal since he's living my lifestyle.

Got a new cast iron grate for my Weber Performer kettle today. So I had to do some steaks.

Thanks Gina, lol, your grandma's way of cooking is pretty much the way my mother taught me. I believe I will be making these this evening. And in this day and age, good for you for being able to give up on the fried foods.

I'm with Julie on that one - good for you! With so much weight left to lose from having the kids, fried foods are waay at the bottom of things I should be eating. Somehow, a little bit always manages to sneak in there during the week though.

Also, Jim - hot dang that looks good! Fabulous pic too!

.......... Somehow, a little bit always manages to sneak in there during the week though.........

busy life styles makes it very hard to eat healthy constantly! and I know you have a very busy schedule right now.

busy life styles makes it very hard to eat healthy constantly! and I know you have a very busy schedule right now.

Lol, I suppose you could say that :) But it's generally a busy that makes me happy, so no complaints!

Back