What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boudain King Cake
Boudain, bacon,cheese, topped with Breir Rabbit Cane Syrup. Happy Mardi Gras Sha.

1424207885041.jpg

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Happy Mardi Gras!

Tonight I finally got around to making Emeril Lagasse's Crawfish and Cream over Pasta which was first made by Paul (sour_grapes). I used about a half pound of crawfish tails and about a half pound of shrimp.

Turned out fantastic and paired very well with an Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc!

IMG_0226.jpg

I have to stop reading this thread. I'm gaining weight just looking at the pictures. :)

Jim, that looks outstanding! What did you use for the bread? Looks like some type of ciabatta. Also, what is on the fries? Seems to be some type of spice.

I had ciabatta in mind, but couldn't find any. So I went with onion rolls. I think they worked well. The fries were seasoned, but not by me. In this instance, they went straight from the bag into the oven.

Went out to dinner last night in Santa fe. Its "restaurant week" in the city different! Had a fantastic meal at a place called "Arroyo Vino".

This is a restaurant/wineshop. The cool thing is you browse the wineshop and then you can have any bottle from the shop for retail plus a $20 corkage fee. The prices are NOT marked up, they are true retail so we had a FANTASTIC dinner with our BFF's and not one but two excellent bottles of wine with dinner.

Two of us had the "Sour Cherry Lacquered Quail — Quinoa Stuffing, Parsnips, Baby Beets, Pomegranate, Thyme Jus" and two of us had the "Shoyu Marinated Flank Steak — Crispy Charred Spring Onion, Forbidden Rice, Edamame, Wasabi Peanuts"

This was a 3 course prix fixe dinner for $40 each. Wine not included. Fantastic! :p
Wine reviews can be found HERE

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Dill Pickle soup for lunch today. The picture is one I borrowed not one I took but it looked the same.

Ingredients
• 5-1/2 cups chicken broth
• 1-3/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 2 cups chopped carrots (smaller dice)
• 1 cup chopped dill pickles (smaller dice ~ about 3 large whole dills)
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 cups dill pickle juice*
• 1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions
• In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrots and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add pickles and continue to simmer.
• In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and water, making a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 Tablespoons at a time) into soup. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is okay. You might see some initial little balls of flour form but between the whisking and boiling all will disappear. Don't panic.)
• Add pickle juice, Old Bay, salt (*see below), pepper and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
• *All pickle juice is not created equal. Some is saltier than others. Taste your soup after adding the pickle juice and final seasonings. It's possible you will not need any salt or would prefer more or less.

001.jpg

Oh so you decided to add the carrots,
Innocent.gif

Dill Pickle soup for lunch today. The picture is one I borrowed not one I took but it looked the same.

Ingredients
•5-1/2 cups chicken broth
•1-3/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
•2 cups chopped carrots (smaller dice)
•1 cup chopped dill pickles (smaller dice ~ about 3 large whole dills)
•1/2 cup unsalted butter
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•1 cup sour cream
•1/4 cup water
•2 cups dill pickle juice*
•1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
•1/2 teaspoon table salt
•1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
•1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions
•In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrots and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add pickles and continue to simmer.
•In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and water, making a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 Tablespoons at a time) into soup. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is okay. You might see some initial little balls of flour form but between the whisking and boiling all will disappear. Don't panic.)
•Add pickle juice, Old Bay, salt (*see below), pepper and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
•*All pickle juice is not created equal. Some is saltier than others. Taste your soup after adding the pickle juice and final seasonings. It's possible you will not need any salt or would prefer more or less.

Is this the recipe from Diners Drive inns and dives? I thought that one sounded interesting.

Back