What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hungarians appear to have a gene that loves paprika. I may have been born in the USA, but I certainly inherited that gene from my father's side. Growing up my mom would make Paprika Chicken -- she'd brown chicken with onion, dust it with paprika, add water and simmer until cooked through. Remove the chicken and stir cooked rice into the drippings. One of my childhood favorites.

I asked, "how much paprika do you add?" Her answer was (more-or-less) "until the chicken is red". If the chicken was visible, it needed more paprika.

I make numerous variations on this -- tonight I browned chicken thigh strips with onion, dusted heavily with paprika. Added quinoa and brown rice, plus chicken stock ... and even more paprika. Covered and baked for an hour. This variation is basically a casserole.

chicken paprika.jpg

At some point this should become a condiment to a dinner...fermented pepper sauce. Just started this week, should ferment for a least a month. All kinds of peppers (from Uri paprika to orange habenero) with onions and pineapple in a 3% brine solution in a 1 gallon big mouth bubbler.

Shouldn't be overly hot, curious what the color will be (most likely a brown). Bought some (expensive) 5 oz pepper bottles online. Have to make up some labels and hopefully be able to give to family for Christmas.

10-21-23_peppers.jpg

Loosely followed this guys recipe:

Some food pics from our recent trip out to Paso. We always stop at Bob's Well Bread in the "other" Los Alamos. The one in California! Cute little town between Santa Barbara and SLO. Bob's is well known and always busy. We arrived at 130PM and there was like 15 people in line ahead of us to order. I had an open faced BLT that was out of bounds good!

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

You never know who you will see at Bob's. (Football is Life!)

1698415883839.jpeg

Back