What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Year 3 and finally getting some edibles.
PXL_20230511_010756658.jpg

Last night was fried chicken... And lunch.
PXL_20230510_021243890.jpg It started off light. Maybe some tomatoes.. A lemon garlic sauce.

What not Alfredo?

Well, that's not light...

A blank stare... Just long enough to allow me to make the correct choice.

PXL_20230511_013956442.jpg
Shrimp and scallop fettuccine with a splash of pinot grigio, and I really thought the basil was gonna be a little bit of sunshine, but I needed to throw in full leaves for that to happen. A nice garnish, but cut too fine to pop.

Friday is finally here! Wifey works late, so Daddy is the taxi driver. Only one run but it made my meal go a bit late. Frozen shrimp on sale at the local Giant for $6.77/lb, I think. Used a creamy garlicy shrimp alfredo recipe (Creamy, Garlicky Shrimp Skillet) that I didn't use the fire roasted red peppers, added some shaker pepper flakes instead. Smoked paprika really adds a different flavor thread to this dish. Hit the spot, have some for leftover lunch tomorrow or for Sunday morning. Yum!

5-12-23_shrimp_alfredo.jpg

Mrs. WM81 wanted pork chops tonight. Although they are inexpensive (NC is a pork producing state), I tend to dislike loin chops as they are too lean and the chops tend towards tough dryness. I prefer to coat them, schnitzel fashion.

Prior to freezing, I cut the chops in half, horizontally, to about 1/2" thick. Post-defrosting, I used a hand tenderizer to cut the fibers. Each chop was rolled in cornstarch, let rest, then dipped in beaten egg (+soy sauce and lime juice), dusted with a tequila lime seasoning from Aldi's, then rolled in bread crumbs. Each chop was sprayed with olive oil, then cooked for 6 minutes in a Griddler.

Dang! They came out good. Served with a rice/quinoa blend and a large salad with fresh strawberries.

Not Thursday... But I know Craig doesn't care. So why should I? 😁

PXL_20230513_010151285.jpg
Not sure if I have shared this before, but if you have stand mixer and don't have a grater attachment you are suffering unnecessarily!PXL_20230513_010921101.jpg

PXL_20230513_020648118.jpgPXL_20230513_020739253.jpg
Cheese sticks...

PXL_20230513_021419959.jpg
And without fail... What would you like on the pizza tonight...

Meat lovers?

Loaded pizza is the bane of my existence, but you can't win without tryin!

PXL_20230513_023034274.jpg

PXL_20230513_023214159.jpg

Had to cook it on the peel to get it off.

PXL_20230513_023534800.jpg

But back on track I went for the third cheese layer. :rCappacolo, ham, pepperoni, ground beef, bacon. peppers, onion, mushrooms, and olives.

PXL_20230513_024637312.jpg

And it held itself up.

media-1683949561971-May_12_2023_9_45_p.m..jpg

Still work to be done, but definitely gaining ground. I woulda flipped it upside down a year ago. :p

Last edited:
Saturday night. Feeling relaxed after a busy day. We went for an easy option that we knew would be delicious. NACHO'S. most enjoyable. Mince, four bean mix and some chill With tomato base. Very flavoursome. Had a bottle of Rhône wine that had been sitting beneath the house.IMG_5050.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife is out of town doing the grandmother thing. I get to stay home and play with the dog. Had to go to the grocery store. They had strip streaks on sale 3 for $15, 1.5 lbs. I couldn't resist. My wife never wants to try reverse searing a steak, but she's not here. I sent her this picture and she is now intrigued.

PXL_20230513_233626405.jpg

Wife is out of town doing the grandmother thing. I get to stay home and play with the dog. Had to go to the grocery store. They had strip streaks on sale 3 for $15, 1.5 lbs. I couldn't resist. My wife never wants to try reverse searing a steak, but she's not here. I sent her this picture and she is now intrigued.

View attachment 101277
I haven't reverse seared a steak, but it makes a great roast!

Looks like it turned out pretty OK!

View attachment 101277
Pretty much like doing the sous vide method where you take a rather unappetizing grayish colored cooked steak and sear it in a red hot cast iron pan! Always comes out great!

lamb-1.jpg

For Mother's Day our son made a stuff leg of lamb (figs, currents, almonds) with a balsamic fig sauce, along with roasted potatoes and broccoli.

The trick was to get the ends medium-well (for his mom) while leaving the middle medium-rare. he did a great job!

The filling was interesting:

lamb-2.jpg

He's sending me the recipe -- I'm going to try it with a butterflied pork tenderloin.

A lot of fast food is not exactly what I consider "food".

If you want a chicken sandwich, Chick-Fil-A is the winner. ;)
I agree though I think it was "food" a long time ago - like my childhood. About the only fast food place I go to is Subway because I think it's the least unhealthy. At least there's a bunch of veggies!

And thanks for the locations! Haven't been to Chick-Fil-A. Closest is an hour away. Maybe on my next Costco run?

I agree though I think it was "food" a long time ago - like my childhood. About the only fast food place I go to is Subway because I think it's the least unhealthy. At least there's a bunch of veggies!

And thanks for the locations! Haven't been to Chick-Fil-A. Closest is an hour away. Maybe on my next Costco run?
Yup, although it varies. I tried McDonald's chicken nuggets ~1983. Purchased them twice, haven't tried since then. The proof that it's not chicken came from my younger son -- as a small child he LOVED chicken nuggets / strips. He'd keep eating them as long as you put more in front of him.

When traveling that's what we'd get for him, as there was no fuss. Until we stopped at McDonalds (which was rare for us, neither the Mrs. or I like the food), and he would NOT eat the nuggets.

I haven't eaten at Subway in decades, as I didn't like the quality of meat. Years ago there was a local sub shop that used Boar's Head meat, but they went the way of the dodo. We've tried Firehouse, Jimmy Johns, and a few other chains, but when we want a sub we go to Jersey Mike's, which I thought is middle Atlantic states only. Nope -- they have OH locations:

https://www.jerseymikes.com/locations?search=ohio
They're more expensive than Subway, but it's always a good sub. My wife loves the Philly cheesesteak.

I haven't eaten at Subway in decades, as I didn't like the quality of meat. Years ago there was a local sub shop that used Boar's Head meat, but they went the way of the dodo. We've tried Firehouse, Jimmy Johns, and a few other chains, but when we want a sub we go to Jersey Mike's, which I thought is middle Atlantic states only. Nope -- they have OH locations:
I haven't tried Jersey Mike but all those you mentioned are in Lancaster, OH, about 30 minutes for me. They also have Penn Station which is pretty good.

Subway is 5 minutes away so it's easy. I think they're approaching the physical limit on how thin the meat can be sliced. In their defense, though, I certainly wouldn't want to own a restaurant in today's environment. It has to be tough.

Lancaster is unusual. Restaurants always open there, something about the "perfect" average city. A couple years ago they had the Chipotle Burger restaurant. I thought they were pretty good but they scrapped the idea.

Back