What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colonoscopy "all clear" celebration day! :db

Good for another "10" they say.

Celebrated tonight with an Orange/Ponzu Oven Baked Chilean Sea Bass dinner tonight.

Mrs. IB would like to schedule another for next week since I produced this tonight after undergoing complete sedation this AM with Propofol......... LOL I think I was starving!

IMG_9726.jpeg

Last edited:
Colonoscopy "all clear" celebration day! :db

Good for another "10" they say.

Celebrated tonight with an Orange/Ponzu Oven Roasted Chilean Sea Bass dinner tonight.

Mrs. IB would like to schedule another for next week since I produced this tonight after undergoing complete sedation this AM with Propofol......... LOL I think I was starving!

View attachment 100989
BUT!

It's THURSDAY!

I often make an extra cup of rice so I can make fried rice, I occasionally get around to making it, too!

Bbq chicken thighs marinated in Sambal Oelek, light soy, garlic, and balsamic. Topped with salt, pepper and chili flakes, 'cause... Well the skin is the best part! The fried rice is a what was in the fridge recipe with Shoaxing wine, light soy, oyster sauce, garlic, and roasted sesame oil for the seasoning.

Threw in an ugly salad for good measure. 😄 Oh, and that Kimchi is so good I am eating with just about everything!
PXL_20230505_020748325.jpgPXL_20230505_021201874.jpg

We had some really warm/almost hot weather in early April. Well that has evaporated the last few weeks. Supposed to hit the low 70s this weekend and the sun came out today! Got the lawn done before a stray shower soaked everything. Had to take the youngest daughter to an interview at a local grocery store then to a sleep over with a bunch of 15/16 yr olds, fortunately not at my house!

Had some leftover penne pasta, some frozen shrimps and needed some food fast. Whipped up a batch of shrimp scampi, did not disappoint! No vampires tonight, lol.

5-5-23_shrimp-pasta.jpg

Who's the new guy in your Avatar! LOL

We had some really warm/almost hot weather in early April. Well that has evaporated the last few weeks. Supposed to hit the low 70s this weekend and the sun came out today! Got the lawn done before a stray shower soaked everything. Had to take the youngest daughter to an interview at a local grocery store then to a sleep over with a bunch of 15/16 yr olds, fortunately not at my house!

Had some leftover penne pasta, some frozen shrimps and needed some food fast. Whipped up a batch of shrimp scampi, did not disappoint! No vampires tonight, lol.

View attachment 101008

Who's the new guy in your Avatar! LOL
Decided the mask was getting way too old...That is my soon to be wife and I at a Stoudts beer tasting when they used to get the few local microbrewers in (circa 1994). The local brew club I was part of used to rent a bus and we'd all go down and have some fun! You can tell with the closed eyes and grin I was doing just fine...

I was looking through one of my picture drawers and found that one, will do the trick for now.

Here's the whole image, not the best since it's so old...

5-5-23.jpg

Last edited:
Decided the mask was getting way too old...That is my soon to be wife and I at a Stoudts beer tasting when they used to get the few local microbrewers in (circa 1994). The local brew club I was part of used to rent a bus and we'd all go down and have some fun! You can tell with the closed eyes and grin I was doing just fine...

I was looking through one of my picture drawers and found that one, will do the trick for now.

Here's the whole image, not the best since it's so old...

View attachment 101011
great pick - good times were had i'm sure

Burger night. 50/50 chuck and short rib, ground in-house. Heavy dose of S&P. Cooked on the Performer over Kingsford Pro. American cheese (its the melty-est). Pickles, pickled red onion, romaine, mayo and a light dose of ketchup (catsup).

tempImagej5qTUE.jpg

Yesterday was such a beautiful day...had to grill something. Got a small rack of ribs for less than $5, minimally seasoned with some salt and pepper. Used a snake in the Weber kettle w/hickory wood. Covered after 2nd image for an couple of hours, nice and tender, smelled like...bacon. Yum!

5-6-23_ribs-1.jpg

5-6-23_ribs-2.jpg

Making some pizza today, have to do it inside, line of rain approaching from the west, looks like it should arrive right when I'd be cooking the pizzas. Just had to up the hydration level in the dough for a longer cook time inside. Only making 5 today, so lite cook.

Mrs. WM81 made red sauce the other day, so I made stuffed shells today. I like manicotti, but stuffed shells go quicker and taste the same.

The Italian restaurant where I was a waiter steamed the lasagna, stuffed shells, and manicotti. Lasagna was scratch made in HUGE pans, while the shells and manicotti were commercial (frozen). Blocks of lasagna (refrigerated) were heated, while the shells and manicotti were defrosted and heated.

I tried steaming the shells, and found it easier, and in the summer in NC, a LOT cooler than running the oven. The bamboo steamer is something I purchased many years ago, and it works great. I learned to line it with wax paper that has holes cut in it, as it makes clean up easier.

shells-1.jpg

After 30 minutes of steaming, plop 'em on the plate and ladle sauce over 'em!

shells-2.jpg

Mrs WM81 is already looking forward to leftovers for dinner tomorrow night!

Tonight was serious.

PXL_20230508_014510153.jpg
I only did this to a few..and I regret nothing. Mozza stuffed! :r
PXL_20230508_015452269.jpg
I opened a bottle of the Pinot Noir, poured two small glasses and dumped the rest into the pot.
PXL_20230508_015358324.jpg
The last parsnip feed.
PXL_20230508_015409234.jpg
Finished the last half of the tomato wine, and I think that about calls it a night.
PXL_20230508_020000547.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_015405290.jpg
    PXL_20230508_015405290.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I made the comment that this meal makes every penny I have spent on wine making worth it. I really enjoyed the Pinot Noir taste test. It is 13.65 ish % and pushing my upper limit for this particular wine. It's a bigger wine, but the ABV is right on the edge. This is one of the best short ribs I have made, and MY wine made it. Serving with the tomato was fun, but in my humble opinion I woulda had to dump $30-50 into this dish to make it that good, but I spent $6, and that isn't nearly as exciting as impressing yourself. :db

Go team! :D

Back