What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If at first you don't succeed, drink some wine and try again another day, in a slightly different way...

Is that how it goes?

Put the pizza stone on the BBQ so I could burn it off. Took it's time, but got me going in the house again.

Building confidence..

PXL_20230421_015137247.jpg

Getting a little more comfortable!

PXL_20230421_015743278.jpg

Tickled pink at this point.

PXL_20230421_020240037.jpg

This was just fun. 😄

Homemade donair meat, sweet sauce, tzatziki and all the goodies.

PXL_20230414_014929305.jpg
PXL_20230421_020945216.jpgPXL_20230421_022002481.jpgPXL_20230421_023521765.jpg

@BigDaveK 6 full puffs, a 3/4, and a half. The recipe I followed said number one reason is not enough heat or preheat time. My griddle definitely wasn't hot enough last time.

Number two was one I caused. Not enough flour and it stuck to the counter along the edge and made a thin spot that popped. The other one I poked a hole in it somehow.

Last edited:
@BigDaveK 6 full puffs, a 3/4, and a half. The recipe I followed said number one reason is not enough heat or preheat time. My griddle definitely wasn't hot enough last time.
Fantastic! I've only used cast iron. I'll have to try the pizza stone AND watch my heat more carefully. Been about a year since I did Alton Brown's gyro loaf so I'm overdue.

I made pork scallopini tonight -- pork tenderloin cleaned, cut in slices, pounded thin, and marinated in a "Greek" seasoning, oil, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Browned then simmered in white wine with mushrooms. Sauce made from pan drippings, white wine, and sour cream.

Served with leftover rice/quinoa mix (my mix, not commercial) and leftover broccoli and corn.

pork.jpg

The second tenderloin in the package is marinating in soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and cornstarch. Mrs. WM81 doesn't know it yet, but that's Monday's dinner. No clue what else I'll do -- I'll figure that out Monday.

Tomorrow our elder son is visiting, so I'm making a steak stir fry over rice noodles. I need to buy some fresh ginger tomorrow morning, and Mrs. WM81 requested bok choi ....

Wifey and I home for dinner, others off to do their "thing". Fed a NY strip to my son since he missed my wife's bday celebration last night which he enjoyed immensely. Found some wings on fire sale, sell by date was 4-28 so they were in pretty good shape. A bit of salt and pepper w/heat, and an easy dinner (served w/vegetarian baked beans so I can terrorize my workmates tomorrow).

Did a one day dough that uses little yeast but rises at room temps. 00 flour, made a hybrid grandma pie (thinner crust). Par baked crust on a 525 pizza steel, topped with fresh mooz and crusted maters, finished and topped with some parmesean. Will take to work and will offer it as a peace offering to the workmates I gas out.

Yum!

4-23-23_wings.jpg

4-23-23_pizza.jpg

I had a last package of top sirloin steak in the freezer that needed using. It's from the ends, was fatty and had ribbons of silverside through it. The other steaks I cut from it were great, but this remnant was not good for steaks.

So I cleaned the steak, sliced in strips, and made a stir fry. Even with the waste removed, it was more steak than my wife & I could eat, so we invited our son, who helped me bottle wine and top barrels before dinner. [Actually, we invited him (like he was going to say "no" to bottling and topping), and when he said "yes" I defrosted the steak.]

I chowed the steak with oil and soy sauce, then removed from the wok when barely done. Then chowed thin sliced onion (looks like fat scallions), then bok choi, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, and snow peas. Sauce included chicken stock, Hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, Texas Pete, and coconut milk. We had a pound of rice vermicelli, flash cooked it, added to the sauce, and then mixed everything back in. A bit of sesame oil on top for flavoring....

steak.jpg

Our son took a large portion home (lunch for him tomorrow), and we still had enough left over for a lunch this week.

I used my typical recipe tonight. Messed around with hydration, and ended up bringing it pretty close to the recipe to keep it workable. I found it bland compared to usual. Might be that dialed in that a little tweak misses the mark.

Still can't complain. PXL_20230424_020425284.jpgPXL_20230424_020459978.jpgPXL_20230424_021307428.jpg

Extra poof on the cheese fingers.
PXL_20230424_022611337.jpg
PXL_20230424_021358680.jpg
Half donair, half ham.
PXL_20230424_022507801.jpg

I've had pork tenderloin medallions marinating since Saturday. It was supposed to be for dinner last night, but was pre-empted, so it's on the menu today.

@vinny mentioned tzatziki recently, and I got a taste for it, so I purchased a cucumber and plain yogurt yesterday. My method is to shred the cucumber and line a large, fine-weave strainer with the pulp, then dump the yogurt on top. [Cucumber keeps the yogurt from going through the strainer.] This drains on the counter at least 2 hours, then I mix with pressed garlic, dill, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

It's great as a first course and as a side for grilled meat and veggies. Or pain fried meat and veggies. Or anything!

The pork is in medallions, but I'll probably thread them on skewers and grill. Mrs. WM81 loves that.

yogurt.jpg

My favourite quick and easy meal. Burritos.
PXL_20230427_013930171.jpg PXL_20230427_014004212.jpg
Made with a homemade spice mix with red pepper flakes from the garden, and the jalepenos are home grown and pickled too.

It has a nice heat that doesn't linger. I am sure for some the jalapeños are like adding bread and butter pickles, but I am just not a ghost pepper kinda guy.

@BigDaveK 😂

My favourite quick and easy meal. Burritos.
View attachment 100786 View attachment 100787
Made with a homemade spice mix with red pepper flakes from the garden, and the jalepenos are home grown and pickled too.

It has a nice heat that doesn't linger. I am sure for some the jalapeños are like adding bread and butter pickles, but I am just not a ghost pepper kinda guy.

@BigDaveK 😂
You need to stop showing pics of fantastic food. I will hunt you down, invite myself over, and never ever ever leave! 🤣

Latest posts

Back