What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want one of them .....

Well worth it. I was considering the bbq top ones, but got suckered into going for this one with all of the video's I was watching. I don't regret it, but it wasn't cheap.

My neighbor has the bbq top one and uses it over a wood fire. They love it.

The price is also way easier to justify, especially if it is an 8-10 times a year event. Unlike @ibglowin's thurday night's serious level of dedication, and Craig's insatiable love for all things baked and cheesy. 😄

Dang...that looks awesome! Which model is that? (16", multi-fuel??)

Yessir. Ooni Karu. I have only used propane so far. It is predictable. I will try wood soon, but I figured I should figure out the basics before adding wood into the equation.

It is literally full blast for 20-30 minutes, put your pizza in, drop it to low. A few spins till the crust is firm, maybe a little shot of heat to finish. 3 minutes, done. cheese fingers, probably 1.5 minutes. The learning curve is pretty steep. You can pretty well throw in the next one by the time you bring the other one in and get yourself ready to reload as long as you had a good preheat.

Start simple no matter what you get. I flipped one on entry the first day, but it is all in good fun.

Yessir. Ooni Karu. I have only used propane so far. It is predictable. I will try wood soon, but I figured I should figure out the basics before adding wood into the equation.
I've been looking at that model as you have the dependability of the propane, so I could cook pizzas for the whole neighborhood as I normally do, plus the wood option for the wood fired Neapolitan pies at 900*F that cook in 90 seconds, plus the charcoal/coal ones to mimic a New Haven style pizza.... I like options with my baked melted cheese!

Sunday I baked a ham butt, and Monday I made soup from the bone.

bean soup.jpg

Technically, it's soup, but the consistency this time is more like a thin stew. Boiled the bone for 30 minutes, then added pre-soaked beans (mixture of types), sauted onion, and 4 liters of chicken stock. I let that simmer for 1-1/2 hours until the beans were tender, at which time I added 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 6 shots Texas Pete (hot sauce), 2 or 3 cups of diced carrots and an equal amount of diced ham. Let it simmer for another 30 minutes until the carrots were tender.

That was dinner Monday and tonight. Got enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

I've been looking at that model as you have the dependability of the propane, so I could cook pizzas for the whole neighborhood as I normally do, plus the wood option for the wood fired Neapolitan pies at 900*F that cook in 90 seconds, plus the charcoal/coal ones to mimic a New Haven style pizza.... I like options with my baked melted cheese!
Plus the propane stretches out your season. I had 'er going at -20 with good results, I pushed my luck too far one windy night. It was still good, but the learning curve is high enough without wind. Longer cook times and more fiddly..

@winemaker81's souvlaki, but I wasn't feeling the skewered veggies.

I really wanted to post a picture of a poofed up pita, but this was my first go. Best one was about 70%. Still really good, just had to go gyro style.

A solid 8.6 by the judges tonight. Think I could get at least a 9.5 with an actual pita pocket.

PXL_20230414_022929502.jpg
PXL_20230414_014921638.jpg

Marinated tomatoes, tzatziki, and the bbq'd souvlaki missed the shoot, but this was a fun mix up. Worth the effort, which by pizza standards was very laid back.

PXL_20230414_023218987.jpg
PXL_20230414_024504369.jpg
I'd eaten most of it before I considered s picture.. :p

@winemaker81's souvlaki, but I wasn't feeling the skewered veggies.

I really wanted to post a picture of a poofed up pita, but this was my first go. Best one was about 70%. Still really good, just had to go gyro style.

A solid 8.6 by the judges tonight. Think I could get at least a 9.5 with an actual pita pocket.

View attachment 100376
View attachment 100375

Marinated tomatoes, tzatziki, and the bbq'd souvlaki missed the shoot, but this was a fun mix up. Worth the effort, which by pizza standards was very laid back.

View attachment 100377
View attachment 100378
I'd eaten most of it before I considered s picture.. :p
I know what you mean. I usually get full "poof" with about half my pita and I don't know why. It bugs me. But they sure do taste good!

pita.jpg

I know what you mean. I usually get full "poof" with about half my pita and I don't know why. It bugs me. But they sure do taste good!

View attachment 100384
Ya, there were none at the store. Homemade was my only option, but in comparison store bought is cardboard. Likely never again.

I tried the griddle thinking I could do 2 at once. My brother sent me a picture of a full poof a while back. Probably the only reason I considered making them. They use their pizza stone. I'll either try that or cast iron next time, but I think the oven is a guarantee.

Latest posts

Back