What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's some type of sea trout, I think. NOTHING like the stream trout we fished for when I was a kit -- an entire fish (including head and tail) was shorter than this filet.

It tastes a bit different from salmon, but fairly close. The Mrs. likes both but prefers trout so we tend to get it -- I'm good with either.

This was a Costco purchase and the smallest package was over 3 lbs. We'll be eating trout 4 times this week, although the second filet will be cooked differently. We may coat that one in cornmeal and pan fry.

Not sure what you have there!!!

"Sea trout is the common name usually applied to anadromous (or sea-run) forms of brown trout (Salmo trutta), and is often referred to as Salmo trutta morpha trutta. Other names for anadromous brown trout are sewin (Wales), peel or peal (southwest England), mort (northwest England), finnock (Scotland), white trout (Ireland) and salmon trout (culinary).[2] The term sea trout is also used to describe other anadromous salmonidscoho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch), brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis), Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus alpinus), cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) and Dolly Varden (Salvenlinus malma).[3] Even some non-salmonid species are also commonly known as sea trout—Northern pikeminnow (Ptychocheilus oregonensis) and members of the weakfish family (Cynoscion).[3] "

Not sure what you have there!!!

"Sea trout is the common name usually applied to anadromous (or sea-run) forms of brown trout (Salmo trutta), and is often referred to as Salmo trutta morpha trutta. Other names for anadromous brown trout are sewin (Wales), peel or peal (southwest England), mort (northwest England), finnock (Scotland), white trout (Ireland) and salmon trout (culinary).[2] The term sea trout is also used to describe other anadromous salmonidscoho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch), brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis), Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus alpinus), cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) and Dolly Varden (Salvenlinus malma).[3] Even some non-salmonid species are also commonly known as sea trout—Northern pikeminnow (Ptychocheilus oregonensis) and members of the weakfish family (Cynoscion).[3] "

Steelhead, or occasionally steelhead trout, is the common name of the anadromous form of the coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus m. irideus) or redband trout (O. m. gairdneri). Steelhead are native to cold-water tributaries of the Pacific basin in Northeast Asia and North America. Like other sea-run trout and salmon, steelhead spawn in freshwater, smolts migrate to the ocean to forage for several years and adults return to their natal streams to spawn. Steelhead are iteroparous, although survival is approximately 10-20%.

Freshwater rainbow trout forms have been introduced into the Great Lakes and migrate into tributaries to spawn, and they are also called steelhead. In Tasmania, commercially propagated steelhead are called Ocean Trout.

Steelhead I would imagine. There's been an argument for years whether it's trout or salmon.

The last couple years it's been trout! 😆
Those Steelheads get pretty big and are they fun to catch. They really jump out of the water multiple times before you catch them or throw the hook.

Steelhead, or occasionally steelhead trout, is the common name of the anadromous form of the coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus m. irideus) or redband trout (O. m. gairdneri). Steelhead are native to cold-water tributaries of the Pacific basin in Northeast Asia and North America. Like other sea-run trout and salmon, steelhead spawn in freshwater, smolts migrate to the ocean to forage for several years and adults return to their natal streams to spawn. Steelhead are iteroparous, although survival is approximately 10-20%.

Freshwater rainbow trout forms have been introduced into the Great Lakes and migrate into tributaries to spawn, and they are also called steelhead. In Tasmania, commercially propagated steelhead are called Ocean Trout.
Those Steelheads get pretty big and are they fun to catch. They really jump out of the water multiple times before you catch them or throw the hook.

You guys are more versed than me, I just know it's next to the salmon in the fish aisle! 😄

We purchased a rotisserie chicken yesterday, and as usual, I immediately deboned the bird while warm. Next I pressure cooked the carcass with an onion, producing a very nice stock.

My son gave me a soup "set" for Christmas, bags of barley, dried veggies, & seasonings -- add stock, simmer for 20 minutes, and it's soup! I added chicken and carrots, and it came out good. Unfortunately, barley or pasta cooked in soup tends to absorb all the liquid, so I have an extra quart of stock that I will add when heating up so the soup is actually "soup".

soup.jpg

It's some type of sea trout, I think. NOTHING like the stream trout we fished for when I was a kit -- an entire fish (including head and tail) was shorter than this filet.

It tastes a bit different from salmon, but fairly close. The Mrs. likes both but prefers trout so we tend to get it -- I'm good with either.

This was a Costco purchase and the smallest package was over 3 lbs. We'll be eating trout 4 times this week, although the second filet will be cooked differently. We may coat that one in cornmeal and pan fry.
That reminds me. I might have to go kayak fishing for sea trout when we get back to Florida. Our sea trout is a nice white color, and 15 to 22 inches make nice filets

Back