What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to channel some Peyton to Nicky "Napoleon Dynamite" Foles with my dinner selection tonight. Can't do it next Sunday as I'll be in "cheesesteak" mode. Ho-made sauce I toiled over all afternoon, smells pretty wonderful at this point. Popped it in a 225*F oven for a couple of hours, am too lazy to cool everything down just to put it in the oven in an hour. I'll remove the foil and crank 'er up to 425 to get some browning at the end.

Wifey used the parmesean and mozzeralla the other night, so topped each chicken piece with provolone, should work just fine.

1-28-18_chicken-parm.jpg

I made lots of things today, but here is what we had for dinner! :)

I made baked chicken thighs (garlic, onion powder, smoked paprika) and baked artichoke halves (lemon juice, EVOO). I made a nice dish of Flageolet beans (ho-made chicken stock, ho-made bacon, onions, carrots, garlic. fresh thyme). It was all washed down with ho-made Pinot Gris/Viognier blend.

DSCN0924.jpg

Tonight's fare was a thick, bone-in pork rib chop (dry-brined, seared in butter, seasoned with coriander, garlic, and fennel); beet salad (roasted beets, shallots macerated in balsamic and sherry vinegar); leftover roasted artichokes (lemon juice and EVOO); and linguine with a ho-made white sauce (butter, flour, milk, 3 cheeses, thyme, oregano). Washed down with my newer CC Showcase Amarone (35 mos.) All better than a sharp stick in the eye!

DSCN0925.jpg

Last edited:
Used some leftover pork tonight. Mustard, swiss cheese, ham, shredded pork, dill pickles and more cheese (ran out of swiss, so used provolone on one side, swiss on the other) on flattened hoagie rolls. Nice cubano like sandwiches. Easy, cheap, fast. Wifey has to study, I need to go take the kids and myself to church for kids/adult studies (and keep out of my Wife's way, she has a lab test tomorrow, anatomy, I suggested she use me as a study guide, but she insinuated that not much studying would get accomplished, it was worth the college try).

1-31-18_cubanitos.jpg

Last edited:
Used some leftover pork tonight. Mustard, swiss cheese, ham, shredded pork, dill pickles and more cheese (ran out of swiss, so used provolone on one side, swiss on the other) on flattened hoagie rolls. Nice cubano like sandwiches. Easy, cheap, fast. Wifey has to study, I need to go take the kids and myself to church for kids/adult studies (and keep out of my Wife's way, she has a lab test tomorrow, anatomy, I suggested she use me as a study guide, but she insinuated that not much studying would get accomplished, it was worth the college try).

Can I double like? Yum!

My wifey has to work hard/study, too, but she is doing it at work. So, I made a bachelor-type meal, and she can eat the leftovers if she ever gets here!

Tonight was NY Strip steak (dry-brined, seared, served with fresh thyme and garlic); plain brown rice; lacinato kale (sauteed with onions & garlic in EVOO, then braised with ho-made chicken stock, seasoned with red pepper flakes and marjoram). This was all washed down with the new-ish Mockingbird Hill Reserve 2015 red blend I posted about recently. A bit young, but tasty!

DSCN0926.jpg DSCN0927.jpg

I need one of these like I need another hole in my head but it.....is......calling......my........name......... LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...Grill-w-Flame-Broiler-Cooking-Probe/793230399

Pit Boss pellet smoker. 1000 in(2) of cooking space, built in temp probes, flame broiler setting to sear steaks, built in sauce rack (LOL)

$497 and free ship to store. This would cook a 20lb brisket over night and make long smokes a breeze.

715d4e89-83eb-42c6-aaec-021623aa07c7_1.dc06913348293b07609c03d26ccb0202.jpeg

Mike: your existing Pit Boss should be rock steady in the temp department for hours on end. Sure the extra space in this puppy would be nice, but...

I do like those wheels though.

No way, maybe 4-5 hours at best before it cooled down below 225 and needed more fuel. The other thing about the K24 is that the heat source is right below the meat so flareups will chare the meat. I always put a large pan of water on the bottom rack to insulate and block most of a flareup but they still happen on occasion. Its impossible to cook a full brisket and something else on the K24 since the lower shelf has the water pan.

Mike: your existing Pit Boss should be rock steady in the temp department for hours on end. Sure the extra space in this puppy would be nice, but...

I do like those wheels though.

No way, maybe 4-5 hours at best before it cooled down below 225 and needed more fuel. The other thing about the K24 is that the heat source is right below the meat so flareups will chare the meat. I always put a large pan of water on the bottom rack to insulate and block most of a flareup but they still happen on occasion. Its impossible to cook a full brisket and something else on the K24 since the lower shelf has the water pan.

When are you picking yours up? :D

I look at the stock market every single day on my phone, keeping a close eye especially to the S&P 500, and I've been a bit nervous this week to be honest, VERY happy with the return for the last year for sure, but know there will be a correction at some point this year. If we could just time the market....lol

Back