What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, lots of "Woo Hoo!" priced spiral sliced hams in my local Smith's (Kroger) left over from the Holiday's I would guess. I didn't bite as they were not anywhere near your price of $8 more like 2X that. I will look again tomorrow to see if they have dropped them any more tomorrow.

Found a "fall off the back of the truck" deal at my local Giant. Spiral cut honey ham, almost 9 lbs, normally $38+, purchased for $8 and change. $30 off, doesn't fall off the truck much better than that! Has a sell by date of Mar 30th, 2018, so not on it's last legs quite yet. Walked in the door this evening, and the GF kid said, it's gluten free, right? When are we making it, Saturday? So I guess I know what I'm making for Saturday dinner. I'll move the GF lasagna to Sunday...

Pizza night, so I made a GF and a "standard" dough pizza. I wasn't in the mood for pizza, so I picked up some frozen shrimp, a can of chopped clams and a pkg of linguini, and proceeded to make a shrimp scampi type dish for my dinner. I loosely followed the first google search hit I got (Tyler Florence, Food Network) but didn't have any fresh parsley, so threw in some basil pesto for some color. Also didn't have the shallot so diced up two green onions and a bit of red onion, and upped the garlic to four cloves to keep the vampires away (oops, and maybe the wife, she's drinking though so I have some leeway). Also added some shredded parmesan which also wasn't in the recipe. Oh well, still turned out pretty good. Served it with a "starting to get a bit on the warmer side @ 55*F" pale ale from the basement keg. Yum!
1-19-18_shrimps-1.jpg 1-19-18_shrimps-2.jpg

Varis, I literally started salivating and had to swallow the surfeit!

For us, we had some lovely loin lamb chops (dry-brined, then marinated in olive oil with garlic, rosemary, and fresh thyme, and broiled), and a pan sauce with the extra marinade, deglazed with sherry, then mounted with butter. This was served with smashed 'taters (Montreal steak seasoning), and some sauteed/braised broccoli (with lemon, garlic, sherry, and oregano).
DSCN0892.jpg DSCN0893.jpg DSCN0894.jpg

Roasted off the bones from last weekend's chicken and have some stock reducing now. Ho-made chicken noodle soup soon.

Made a ragú while I was boiling my batch of pale ale (actually turned out to be a low end IPA). Grilled a few Italian regular and hot snausages, and constructed a gluten free lasagna. Normally I'd buy a pre-made Annies GF lasagna, but recently our Giant started stocking a Barilla no-boil lasagna product, so I had to try it at least once. For the record, if someone else made this and didn't tell me that it was GF (the sheets of pasta are made with corn and rice flour) I would have never known it, and I make a bunch of gluten free food. Kudos to Barilla, it's worth the extra buck or so for these lasagna sheets.

1-20-18_Lasagna.jpg

Ginger ale, sadly.

It was a lost day. I reckon either gastroenteritis or food poisoning. (I'll spare you the smilie that is right for the occasion.)

Earlier, I would have had to have rallied just to die. :) Feeling quite a bit better now, and hope the recovery tomorrow is nearly complete.

Score! Perhaps Easter dinner. Might toss it on the Pitboss for a bit more smoke. :db

IMG_3107.jpg

Found a "fall off the back of the truck" deal at my local Giant. Spiral cut honey ham, almost 9 lbs, normally $38+, purchased for $8 and change. $30 off, doesn't fall off the truck much better than that! Has a sell by date of Mar 30th, 2018, so not on it's last legs quite yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back