What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a hankering for quite some time for some ho-made Oyster Stew! No fresh oysters available in a land locked State but you can find the next best thing in the seafood case of fresh/shucked in the sealed up plastic container which are only suitable in cooked dishes not raw. Turned out fantastic and really hit the spot. Sorry no wine pairs with a big bowl of milk and butter that I know of anyways. LOL

IMG_3120.JPG

Crisp acidity, almost sparkling effervescense on the palette with notes of not only orange but also lemon and lime as well as a slight mineral finish on the very end. I found it best served very cold. LOL

915AsjLp-oL._SL1500_.jpg

Tasting notes, please. LOL!

Crisp acidity, almost sparkling effervescense on the palette with notes of not only orange but also lemon and lime as well as a slight mineral finish on the very end. I found it best served very cold. LOL

I'd say that's a pretty good write up. :D

Oldest daughter and wifey have other dinner plans tonight. "The boy" had some left over GF ziti I made on Wednesday (he really liked the extraordinary amount of cheese the recipe called for). So pizza for me and my daughter. I was gonna cheat and use a pre-made Brooklyn crust I can get at my local Giant, but she said last night she really preferred the ho-made dough/crust we normally do. So I made a ho-made crust this afternoon (had things to do last evening, couldn't make it then) and whipped up a 1/2 cheese, 1/2 pepperoni pizza. Served with a Sierra Nevada clone type draft beer that's getting pretty darn good (she didn't want beer so went for a glass of milk, better choice for a 10 yr old). Nice meal and libations to end the week, yum!

2-9-18_pizza.jpg

I was gonna cheat and use a pre-made Brooklyn crust I can get at my local Giant, but she said last night she really preferred the ho-made dough/crust we normally do. So I made a ho-made crust this afternoon

Whenever I make ho-made pizza, I have to confess that my dough is premade. I am able to buy a ball of uncooked dough at one of my local grocery stores, made by a local bakery. However, it is not the store I usually go to, so it is a special trip. All of this is leading up to my asking you if you can share or link to your recipe. Is it basically the same as no-knead bread, or something like that? Any tips welcome!

Whenever I make ho-made pizza, I have to confess that my dough is premade. I am able to buy a ball of uncooked dough at one of my local grocery stores, made by a local bakery. However, it is not the store I usually go to, so it is a special trip. All of this is leading up to my asking you if you can share or link to your recipe. Is it basically the same as no-knead bread, or something like that? Any tips welcome!

This was out of a pizza book that my brother received with a pizza pan my dear Mother once bought him.

1-2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp salt (I use Kosher or Sea salt)
3/4 cup tepid water
2 cups high gluten flour (any from winter wheat works well, including bread flour - Robin Hood works really well)
+ more as needed (kneaded, yuck yuck)
1 1/2 to 2 tsp instant yeast (I get mine at a local restaurant supply place, dirt cheap)

Add to a mixer with bread hook or make a well with the flour and mix by hand - knead for 15 minutes until gluten develops - add flour or water as needed to make soft but not wet dough.
I place it in a plastic baggie and throw in the fridge overnight. Can add to a warmed/oiled bowl and cover with a towel to let rise faster. Slower rise in fridge makes for a better tasting crust.
If in fridge, bring out and let sit at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
Add flour to a bread board of some sort, coat dough and work with hands (include tossing if you are somewhat able to do without dropping on floor) for the desired thickness of crust.
Note that the crust will increase in thickness as it heats in the oven (usually doubles for me).
I cook (once pizza is assembled) at the highest temperature that my oven consistently goes (500*F) in a seasoned steel pizza pan until desired browning of toppings (including cheese) is achieved.

Hope that makes sense.

441182.jpg

Last edited:
Pizza dough is tough and so many things can change it: how you cook, exactly what flour you use, the water, etc. In fact, we're going to a place tonight that has great pizza. I had a chance to talk with the owner once when we were there and learned he uses fresh (not dried) yeast, and the water they use is the same bottled Italian spring water they serve. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Last night was lambshanks! Yum. Sadly, I did not take enough pictures.
Lamb shanks were browned, then braised for hours in beef broth, canned San Marzano tomatoes, and wine, with onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. After braising, the shanks were set aside, and the stock reduced to a thick sauce. Meanwhile, I simmered potatoes and cauliflower with rosemary and garlic, then mashed that with butter, milk, and pecorino cheese for something like mashed potatoes. Also served with a side of turnip greens, sauteed with onions and garlic, seasoned with fennel, then braised with a little bit of sherry.
DSCN0943.jpg DSCN0944.jpg

Last edited:
I think I need to retire early, then travel the country sampling the dishes that are posted here and eventually pen a recipe book. Recipes must include the favorite beverage to serve with, so I expect beverages while I'm sampling!

Cooking some boneless pork ribs on the grill that marinated in mojo all night. Will finish off on charcoal (supposed to be around 50*F today!). Plan on using the pulled rib meat for cubano sandwiches tomorrow or Monday.

I think I need to retire early, then travel the country sampling the dishes that are posted here and eventually pen a recipe book. Recipes must include the favorite beverage to serve with, so I expect beverages while I'm sampling!

You're more than welcome, Craig! The beverage of choice last night was a Napa Cab from Rutherford (gift from a neighbor), so that was nice!

You're more than welcome, Craig! The beverage of choice last night was a Napa Cab from Rutherford (gift from a neighbor), so that was nice!
I have to admit that I rarely if ever see a beverage posted on this site that I would want to try/drink.

BTW, the Cuban mojo style pork ribs are incredibly tasty. Will be a nice authentic addition to the Cubano sandwiches that my wife likes me to make. I'm thinking of doing the mojo treatment overnight and putting the ribs in the crock pot on low all day for pulled Cuban sandwiches, I think the kids will really like them, and they are gluten free!

Latest posts

Back