What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little Sous Vide is in my future! Amazon Prime Day deal for $99! :db

Anova Sous Vide

41i1vhhRgaL._SL1000_.jpg

Have you used this thing yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, true confessions time. I shop almost every day, because I walk by the grocery store on my way home. No trouble to stop in. Well, the new big-box grocery store that drove my beloved mom-and-pop gourmet store out of business has a weak spot. They have a special section where they routinely put meat that is approaching its "sell by" date, obviously highly discounted. It has become my secret obsession to check there whenever trying to put dinner together, i.e., nearly every day. That is where yesterday's loin lamb chops came from, and tonight, it was a T-bone steak for about $3.50/lb. I coupled that with corn-on-the-cob (simple, just butter/salt) and green beans (with coriander/fennel), both from my farmer's market and all 3 cooked on a hot, hot grill. No pix tonight, as my battery unexpectedly ran out of juice when I tried to take a shot.

For wine, I chugged the last of the saccharine Menage a Trois, just to get rid of it, and opened something more worthwhile: a simple Columbia Crest H3 Merlot. Kicking myself, because this is worlds better, for a buck or two more. Now, to be fair, I have had plenty of agreeable Menage a Trois (WINE, that is) before, not keeping track of the blend, but that last blend was cloying.

That's what I do at my local Giant. They just mark them "in place" with a special yellow sticker but they reside where they were originally shelved. Saturday morning is a favorite for beef products. Sometimes the meat is a bit off colored, so I avoid that. It's the only way to feed a family of six on a very limited budget with two special needs kids. I guess I'm especially needy too, daily ration of beer or wine or both. Charcoal three times a week, etc, etc.

Hump day dinner. Where is that "easy" button........

Thank you Costco. Dinner complements of BiBiGo! Korean style Bibimbap Korean style BBQ beef bowl and then mini wontons with chicken and cilantro on the side served with Ponzu dipping sauce! :db

Paired with this wine spectacularly!

17126932_1481265341897192_2484695940024238080_n.jpg

imageService

A double batch of Bucatini all'Amatriciana tonight. A friend gave me a large pile of garden tomatoes, and I had a hunk of guanciale (bacon from hog jowl) in the fridge waiting for this dish. However, I needed more meat due to the number of 'maters, so I supplemented the guanciale with some (uncured) pork belly, and was off to the races. We mixed roughly half of the sauce with the bucatini, and froze the rest for another day.

Common theme here this week...use those steak rolls up. Made some boneless chicken thighs earlier so that the non-sports types could eat. Sports types and taxi driver (me) ate later. Had basted with a vinegar/yellow mustard/salt/pepper/red pepper quickie sauce so that diners could choose between wing sauce, bbq sauce or ranch dressing with their chicken sandwich. Added some onions and a diced garden tomato to mine with some provolone cheese. Very easy and tasty. Served with a cheap beer as I watch the 3rd and 4th string Eagles play the "mighty" Jets.

8-31-17_chicken-sandwich.JPG

Burger night. Mom and Dad moved in 4 or 5 days ago. We've been having fun. I'm off tomorrow and left work early today. Grocery shopping, then cut the lawn. After that, Dad made some 'taters, Mom made a salad and I did burgers. Fantastic meal, considering it was 'just burgers'.

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

Wife challenged me to make a home cooked meal for under $4 total.

So, I got whole chicken thighs, skinned and boned them myself.

Then proceeded to make sriracha chicken. Words can't describe just how GOOOOOOD this was.

Then the wife had the nerve to ask for a beverage. I laughed and told her that we could not afford it on my budget.. HEHE.. What do they say about payback??

IMG_20170827_181021457_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170827_183517298_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170827_184726629[1].jpg

IMG_20170827_190424428[1].jpg

Then proceeded to make sriracha chicken. Words can't describe just how GOOOOOOD this was.

Then the wife had the nerve to ask for a beverage. I laughed and told her that we could not afford it on my budget.. HEHE.. What do they say about payback??

JohnT, what is in the marinade? Looks like a lot of hot sauce. What else? Thanks.

1 1/2 cups of sriracha, 1/4 cup soy, 1/4 cup apple cider vinager, garlic, salt, and pepper, and 1/4 cup honey.

I let the chicken sit for about 5 hours, then kept spooning it on as the chicken cooked.

Not nearly as spicy as you would think. Nice slow moving spice-heat mixed with a touch of sweetness from the honey and the savory from the garlic. Think I will grill this again tonight!

That looks good

I'm not sure if I'd call this an eggplant lasagna or a take on a moussaka, but I can call it delicious.

It started with slow cooking down garden tomatoes over a day and a half to make a rich tomato sauce.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504274766.150204.jpg

I made a "meat" mixture by sautéing finely chopped mushrooms and garlic and then mixing it with some crumbled up leftover lentil burgers.

The dish was compiled by layering sauce with eggplant and the mushroom/lentil mixture. Topped with fresh basil and nutritional yeast for flavor.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275025.192436.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275040.030691.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275128.022744.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275052.496164.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275060.751079.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1504275073.766102.jpg

1 1/2 cups of sriracha, 1/4 cup soy, 1/4 cup apple cider vinager, garlic, salt, and pepper, and 1/4 cup honey.

I let the chicken sit for about 5 hours, then kept spooning it on as the chicken cooked.

Not nearly as spicy as you would think. Nice slow moving spice-heat mixed with a touch of sweetness from the honey and the savory from the garlic. Think I will grill this again tonight!

That looks awesome and delicious. I would steal that recipe in a heartbeat. The "payback" (sweet revenge) was a bonus! :sm

I assume you did not count the cost of the sriracha in the $4!

Back