What's a good wine for the Holidays,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Port wines are very popular at the Holidays as well as things like the CranApple Chardonnay type kits. Its not too early in fact its getting to be too late if you want it to be ready for the Holidays!

One that you started a few months ago would be my answer. THOUGH, the cranberry chardonnay kit would likely be ready by Christmas week, and I think there is an Orchard Breezin Holiday Spiced Plum Pinot Noir kit that people really seem to like. A port kit MIGHT be ready for December sharing, but would really do much better if you allow it to age for a minimum of six months. I have a CRP kit that I started 9/2011 and I opted NOT to share bottles in December...the stuff is just fantastic right now. I started a Peach Ice Wine kit last month and hope to have a few bottles to share for the holidays, not sure if I will make it or not.

One that you started a few months ago would be my answer. THOUGH, the cranberry chardonnay kit would likely be ready by Christmas week, and I think there is an Orchard Breezin Holiday Spiced Plum Pinot Noir kit that people really seem to like. A port kit MIGHT be ready for December sharing, but would really do much better if you allow it to age for a minimum of six months. I have a CRP kit that I started 9/2011 and I opted NOT to share bottles in December...the stuff is just fantastic right now. I started a Peach Ice Wine kit last month and hope to have a few bottles to share for the holidays, not sure if I will make it or not.

Your Peach Ice Wine kit should be ready for the Holidays, mine was ready after 4 months for bottling. That's not to say it was properly aged, but it had at least stopped dropping sediment.

Runningwolf said:
CranApple Chardonnay all the way but it's probably too late to order.

Finevinewines.com has kits in stock. Just ordered one today.

Most any of the mist (summer) wine kits will be ready by Thanksgiving, although that might be cutting it a little close. One can also make a nice German-style spiced wine out of any good red that one has on hand

Your Peach Ice Wine kit should be ready for the Holidays, mine was ready after 4 months for bottling. That's not to say it was properly aged, but it had at least stopped dropping sediment.

Good to know!!

Runningwolf said:
CranApple Chardonnay all the way but it's probably too late to order.

Took your suggestion and ordered this kit Tuesday from FVW. It's to be delivered today. One question.....is this kit sweet compared to the RJS port wine kits? I'd rather not have such a sweet wine. If its similar to a Reisling then I'm okay.

If anyone is interested, finevinewines.com still has the OB cran-apple chard kits in stock. Just ordered a few to make for Christmas next year. I made this kit and gave as gifts for the holidays and everyone had great things to say about this one.

I made the cran apple chard for Christmas gifts and our holiday wine....well one of them anyway....the cran apple was by far the favorite.

Back