Other What you most want to see in 2022 from Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you most like to see new from Finer Wine Kits in 2022 (you can only pick one)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two separate Forte Cab Sauv kits is what I’m thinking.
Sounds good. Worst case scenario is you have 60 bottles of the same wine instead of 30. 😂

Keep in mind that I may be wrong on all of the above. I'm looking at the chemistry, and just not seeing MLF work out for kits. But reality may be different.

One crazy idea is to add malic to a Chardonnay kit, then hit it with MLB. This is a risk, as even if the MLB transmutes malic to lactic, it still might be off balance and too acidic. This is an experiment to do with a gallon, not a carboy.

One thing that worries me about the adding malic acid and trying to do mlf on that, I had read somewhere that many man-made malic acids can't be converted by malolactic bacteria.
Good catch! This may also be a reason why wineries don't adjust malic to do MLF, e.g., it just doesn't work. It's funny how many great ideas have to be discarded simply because they don't work. ;)

One thing that worries me about the adding malic acid and trying to do mlf on that, I had read somewhere that many man-made malic acids can't be converted by malolactic bacteria.
Malic acid is chiral. If you add a synthetic racemic mixture, only the natural enantiomer will be recognized by the MLB.

My local shop sells the big cans of country fruit juices, I’ve added MLF bacteria to nearly every red I make, I can do just about everything on the ballot. Except skins, I have no supplier for skins and I don’t live in California.

How about they make an even more premium kit? One with yet more juice concentrate volume? A super premium version if you will…

Back