What to use in myairlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
I'm going to be away for several days while my wine is in the carboy and need some information on what to use in the airlock. Does anyone know how quickly water or vodka evaporates from the airlock at about 75 degrees (50% humidity)? Is it days or weeks?

I was just gone for 3 days, I put in about 50% Gem Clear (A rubbing alcohol tasting "substitute" for Everclear, no good) and the other 50% was k-meta spray, when I got home the airlocks looks just about the same level as when I filled them, this is of corse after primary fermentation, I tried some straight 190proof in the primary airlock and it lasted about 24 hours so I just used k-meta spray for the remainder of the primary, yep I'm one em that lock it down during primary, dogs, cats, kids and a less then carful wife just makes me feel better for it to be locked on.

I sanitize with StarSan and use it in my airlocks. It lasts for months in mine.

I've used 50/50 bourbon and water. It lasts a month or 2 before you have to add to it, and I didn't start out with it full.

I routinely let mine go a few months with a little Kmetta and water. You will be good for a few days for sure!

Used to use only tap water and it lasts for months.... Now begin to use k-meta in addition....

I would drink the vodka, 50/50 bourbon water and use glycerine in my airlock. It won't evaporate.

Me too, :D A shot of K-Meta won't hurt..
Vodka and bourbon??? what a waste:ft, I'm drinking that...:b

I cannot prove this scientifically, so I will say I believe that if the wine is dosed properly with k meta, then the CO2 and any k meta outgassed from the wine logically has only one place to go, through the water trap, and some is left behind in the water.

I call this the Bong Theory of Water Traps, for no particular reason, of course! :D

Save a shot for me...I'll be right there!

I use Vodka only, it lasts minimum three months. I also use the two bubble air locks, it uses less liquid compared to the other straight air lock.

I actually put boiled water that has been cooled to room temperature, but am in the process of converting over to the airlock that does not require any liquid at all. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called and where I found them...but I so enjoy not worry about having to check the liquid level in airlocks. Have about 10 more to convert.

If you are worried about evaporation use food grade glycerin.

I cannot prove this scientifically, so I will say I believe that if the wine is dosed properly with k meta, then the CO2 and any k meta outgassed from the wine logically has only one place to go, through the water trap, and some is left behind in the water.

I call this the Bong Theory of Water Traps, for no particular reason, of course! :D

Save a shot for me...I'll be right there!

I've actually tested the old water out of an airlock for chemicals and found it to turn alcoholic from the vapors passing through.. Absorption if anyone wants to google why or how it happens

Back