What temp would u like 2 see your primary stay at?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Hey, I'm tring to determine if there is a 'best' temperature to keep my primary at during fermentation. I've found I can keep it closer to a heater vent in my home, wrapped in a blanket and depending how close will change the contstant heat.

i was thinking, if I had a choice would you want it to stay at 65*, 70*, 75*, or higher or lower during fermentation (assuming it would stay right where you wanted it of course....

For Winexpert kits the optimum temperature is 73-75 per Tim V.

I am sure as the range is 65-75 and I keep my fermentation room at 70.

I havent done much kits and we'll see what happens as my basement isnt
heated. So far I keep it warm during initial ferm to get it going good
with a lamp and or ceramic heater but will not let it go during whole
operation as our utility bill keeps jumping up in CT. But so far at low
to mid 60's all my fruit wines have done well, maybe a little slow but
well.

I try to keep my primary fermentation at 70 F, that is my goal.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

70 f is my goal also
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bert would LOVE it
smiley27.gif
if we kept our primaries roomat 70!
smiley36.gif
I can't stand having the house too warm. We just checked our 2ndary carboys and they're at 67. The primary, which is creating it's own heat at this time is at 70. But, this is the warmest room in the house, since the computer is in here.
We keep our wines in here until they have quit working and have been thoroughly stirred and the majority of the sediment has dropped and been racked off. After that they go to our heated basementand rest on the carpetted floor, under boxes, to finish clearing and dropping sediment. We let them bulk age down there.
smiley12.gif
Bert just checked the temp on them and they're at 61 degrees.
He also checked our wine cellar and it's at 59 degrees.
smiley4.gif
There some advatages to living up North! Not many, but some.

Interesting information, thanks. I tried keeping my current peach at 64* for this fermentation to keep it a little more peach smelling. Who knows if it will work. I guess I'll know in a year or so.

I really was curious becuase I started a crushendo kit and left i by the heater to get it going. A day or two later when I checked back it was at 90*F. Must have gotten thos yeasties with the heater really working overtime to hit that temp. The wine at racking tasted fine, but it was fermented dry in less than 5 days.

Sounds like 70* is the magic number.....

Latest posts

Back