What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't sleep this morning, so got up and racked the 2021 Grenache Rose in preparation for bottling. I have a 'staycation' coming up and bottling that wine is on the to-do list. It compares favorably to the Chateau St. Michelle Rose I used to top it up. Prior to this, I had applied some bentonite, as it was getting a significant haze when chilled.

Last edited:
Racked my FWK Tavola Cab Sav that I made last summer. Wow! My plan is to bottle it this fall, but it tasted so fantastic already that I am debating bottling it sooner. Or I may rack 3 gallons to keep aging and bottle the rest. Decisions, decisions...
In my limited experience, the Tavola are much faster aging. I bottled the PN at 6 months and it was fully drinkable a month later. The Forte kits need more time, but at over a year are quite good.

A bit over a year ago my then 7 yo desktop PC was showing its age, so I replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I kept my old case and video card for cost reasons.

Recently I decided to replace the video card, as costs had stabilized. However, the one I purchased needs more power than than is supplied through the motherboard, and I discovered my existing power supply wasn't powerful enough to do the job. The PC arena changes quickly, and if you're not building them frequently, assume EVERYTHING has changed since the last time, and you won't be wrong.

I ended up buying a new case (I'll not go into the technical details unless someone needs a cure for insomnia) and power supply.

Even with a tower case, the insides can be cramped, although in comparison laptops are the equivalent of a 1 room apartment with 10 people living there.

The new case is larger with a LOT of interior space, and the power supply is modular, e.g., meaning that I don't have to make room for a half dozen unnecessary cables. I plug in only the cables I need.

cpu-1.jpg

This one has a LOT more space, so airflow is better. I'm going to add more fans pointing up, to help with cooling.

The many cables are on the other side of the what is the "back" in the above photo.

cpu-2.jpg

It's still a snake nest of cables, but none of them is bouncing into a spinning fan, so I call it a win.

This case has built-in support for LED fans, e.g., the fans change color and are programmable. One reviewer got really excited over this, although he was also raving about the colors on the outside of the box the power supply came in, so his review wasn't exactly useful to me.

cpu-3.jpg

Me? I don't care about the colors of the fans, as I'm paying attention to what's on screen, not watching a colored fan spin ...

🤣

As I got into this, I recalled vividly why I don't build PCs all that often .......

I racked my FWK Pinot Noir out of primary this morning. Generally following the instructions verbatim, other than the bulk aging after 2-3 polishing racks for ~6-7 months of bulk.
Checked in on my baseline simple sweet red wine recipe, and decided it needs another week or so prior before beginning polishing.
Other than that, I got to play with the kiddos, and get some house work completed.

A bit over a year ago my then 7 yo desktop PC was showing its age, so I replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I kept my old case and video card for cost reasons.

Recently I decided to replace the video card, as costs had stabilized. However, the one I purchased needs more power than than is supplied through the motherboard, and I discovered my existing power supply wasn't powerful enough to do the job. The PC arena changes quickly, and if you're not building them frequently, assume EVERYTHING has changed since the last time, and you won't be wrong.

I ended up buying a new case (I'll not go into the technical details unless someone needs a cure for insomnia) and power supply.

Even with a tower case, the insides can be cramped, although in comparison laptops are the equivalent of a 1 room apartment with 10 people living there.

The new case is larger with a LOT of interior space, and the power supply is modular, e.g., meaning that I don't have to make room for a half dozen unnecessary cables. I plug in only the cables I need.

View attachment 99790

This one has a LOT more space, so airflow is better. I'm going to add more fans pointing up, to help with cooling.

The many cables are on the other side of the what is the "back" in the above photo.

View attachment 99791

It's still a snake nest of cables, but none of them is bouncing into a spinning fan, so I call it a win.

This case has built-in support for LED fans, e.g., the fans change color and are programmable. One reviewer got really excited over this, although he was also raving about the colors on the outside of the box the power supply came in, so his review wasn't exactly useful to me.

View attachment 99792

Me? I don't care about the colors of the fans, as I'm paying attention to what's on screen, not watching a colored fan spin ...

🤣

As I got into this, I recalled vividly why I don't build PCs all that often .......

I used to build them and repair them a while ago.

I used to build them and repair them a while ago.
Whatever you used to know is no longer current. :slp

A year ago when I replaced the MOBO/CPU/RAM, I researched for nearly 2 months in figuring out what to buy. This year I spent a month looking at cases and GPUs (video cards), then a week looking at PSU (power supply unit). If I was replacing the MOBO/CPU/RAM now, I'd have to spend at least a week or two figuring things out.

The first PC I built was a Pentium-90. Ya decided on what clock speed, and the choices were Intel Pentium or AMD. Now there's probably 30 choices each in both Intel and AMD. It's not for the faint of heart! ;)

Whatever you used to know is no longer current. :slp

A year ago when I replaced the MOBO/CPU/RAM, I researched for nearly 2 months in figuring out what to buy. This year I spent a month looking at cases and GPUs (video cards), then a week looking at PSU (power supply unit). If I was replacing the MOBO/CPU/RAM now, I'd have to spend at least a week or two figuring things out.

The first PC I built was a Pentium-90. Ya decided on what clock speed, and the choices were Intel Pentium or AMD. Now there's probably 30 choices each in both Intel and AMD. It's not for the faint of heart! ;)
Get the highest generation of the version of CPU you get, especially with an Intel processor. My last build lasted almost 10 years and still runs circles around my PC at work (which was a dual core Intel), it was a 2 core AMD Castillo black, I kept it to run ubuntu on it for a cheap music server. The new one is only an AMD Ryzen 5 series, but with a solid state hard drive it boots up in about 5 seconds, unreal.

Spent today moving stuff out of the wet basement and then bailing water from the sump basket while some family members used a couple of shop vacuums to clean up water all over the floor, after the sump pump died.

Hubby had made an appointment to get someone to look at the sump pump today anyway because it was making a weird noise. Too bad it couldn't have waited a few more hours before it crapped out. On the plus side, nothing seems to have gotten damaged (except possibly the vinyl flooring I've wanted to get rid of since we moved in a few years ago).

We live in a spot where lots of water runs down toward our house from a berm, and so the sump pump is essential. This all made me realize I had low-level worry about the sump pump since we moved in a few years ago, and so now I can rest easy about that for a while since we now have a new pump with a battery backup as well as a backup pump.
AND some of the stuff that got moved upstairs isn't coming back down, which means I have space for more wine racks! :try

We live in a spot where lots of water runs down toward our house from a berm, and so the sump pump is essential.
I had a similar but more minor situation. A landscaper suggested putting dirt against the foundation so that the ground within 5' of the house slopes away from the house. It solved the problem -- not 100% perfect, but my cellar gets wet only when it's raining hard enough to float an Ark.

He said water runs downhill ... which is obviously true. Changing the grade even a small amount can make a huge difference.

View attachment 99790

View attachment 99791

View attachment 99792

🤣

What do you do for a living? Remote launches of Tesla's satellites?

Not that I actually know what I am looking at, but it seems pretty serious.

I'm a little older than you. My first build used a Z-86 from Zilog. Man, those were the days...many happy sleepless nights...

Latest posts

Back