What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2r3fl2d.jpg

Started Peach Icestyle wine. You know what they say... If it fits, it sits!

Tonight, I'll be removing the remaining 6 gallons of 2014 Zin from the barrel, combining it back the remaining 4 gallons of Zin, and blending it with some Petite Sirah. All this in preparation for Monday's bottling.

Then the 2015 Syrah gets its turn in the barrel.

Today I am going to teach a very good H.S. friend of 60 years how I make wine and beer. I think our wives will go to the outlets and shop. We are going to have a early dinner of DW's Sauer Bratten, with red cabbage and spattzel. After dinner we were invited to attend Brewers' Apprentice to participate in a feedback session on DIY wine and beer making. That should round off the evening.

Whew! Racked the RJS WS Amarone from secondary and degassed, then racked 6 gallons of Zin out of Vadai #1 and into a 20gal Brute. Added to that another 4 gallons of Zin and a gallon of Petite Sirah. Then racked all of that into a 6 and 5 gallon carboy. Moved the 2015 Lanza Syrah into Vadai #1. Then cleaned up a whole bunch of stuff. Got clean/dry bottles off the rack and boxed up. Started cleaning up the area a bit in preparation for Monday's bottling.

k4utxf.jpg

Trip to my "local" homebrew shop... She convinced me to start making beer so I will be washing Grolsch bottles I have been hoarding this week. I can't start any new projects until I get a few of these out of the way. Priorities, man... Priorities...

Winery chores continued this morning with some chinese fire drills on the barrels. Racked the Aglianico from #2 into Carboy. Racked WE LE Super Tuscan from #3 into #2. Then Aglianico into #3. (#3 is my new barrel and #2 is neutral. Aglianico has been in #2 for about 8 weeks and ST was in #1 for about 5) Cleaned up a little more in prep for Monday bottling. After team pictures and basketball games with the kids later this morning, I'm going to get my Carrusel Chardonnay-Viognier going.

Last edited:
Went to see a movie tonight, for the first time in a long time. Saw "The Big Short," which follows a few people who called the 2008 housing crisis and made a (then-unpopular) bet against the bubble. It was very entertaining (and funny), but it made me sad because it brought me mentally back to that sad chapter. Although I myself was not harmed in that crash, it was still (a) disgusting and disconcerting to watch the frothy run-up (i.e., house-flipping, no-down-payment mortgages, cash-out refi's out the wazoo...), and (b) painful to watch the inevitable crash and what it took away from people who both did and did not deserve the beat-down.

Racked and kmeta's 27 gallons of Elderberry wine. Getting ready to head to the grocery store for something for dinner. Haven't decide what just yet...

My 5 year anniversary at work is rapidly approaching and in exchange for my pain and suffering, :) I get to choose a gift from among several options. I chose a digital photo frame. It's one of those things that I think are cool, but just not willing to spend the money on. So I've spent the afternoon going through old pictures and getting things set up. It's been fun, and now the wife can also enjoy my gift. Valentines Day? Won!

Still recovering from food poisoning...

Uggh! Had that myself once. Hope you recover soon!

Being that it's Valentine's day and you're to spend it with your love, I'm in the lab :) finishing labels and caps and racking a pinot noir

Latest posts

Back