What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to do our annual Christmas Caroling with the family. We head out to my hometown and sing for all the 'shut-in' seniors and nursing homes where we know people - they miss out on so much this time of year.

Then dinner at my Grandma & Grandpa's place so the kids can see them! (they don't get out all that much anymore either).

Working in Ohio today to pay for the family vacation last week. It will be bottling day for the Cranberry Pomegranate tomorrow (and maybe the Seyval Blanc too), racking the Fredonia out of buckets to glass (FINALLY) and maybe starting a batch of Skeeter Pee or Candy Cane for next Christmas. Time to do a taste check on the Chocolate Peppermint Candy Cane too.

I expect to be working with my son (the chief bottler) and a neighborhood boy who attends Penn State and has started a winemaker's club. I am an unofficial member for consultation as some of the members are not of age yet. Strictly legal to drink any Bushy Run Wine.

Bottled 6 cases of beer, hopefully 4 more in a few days - once again...Thank God for the Allinone!!!
We went to friends house last night to do an evening of wine beer tasting (our own wine and brews), and my buddy made fresh rigatoni pasta and a real nice "sauce" of broccoli rabe, Italian sausage, garlic, parmigiana and a touch of crushed red pepper - it was fantastic.
I brought a bottle of Moscato, a bottle of Spumante type sparkling wine and a bottle of Brunello, they all were a hit, my buddies wife absolutely loved the Spumante! I'm going to make her a half dozen bottles using the 2 week method again, it produces real nice sparkling wine!

Working in Ohio today to pay for the family vacation last week. It will be bottling day for the Cranberry Pomegranate tomorrow (and maybe the Seyval Blanc too),

Can you describe how you expect that Seyval Blanc to taste.

Thanks

Well my 5 yearold granddaughter was over yesterday and baked a cake with memom and then polished her nails while PaPa made invert suger for the Skeeter Pee. :)

my sister has a large dog kennel, and let her whole staff off this week for christmas, before she knew she had 40 dogs coming..lol
She called me in distress to go help...I have not been to our property in a while so i went to help...the peacocks were hungry...lol she has 43 now.
notice the solid white one in the background, she has two.

peacocks.jpg

Looks like a seen from a Hitchcock movie. I'm not a big fan of peacocks, I'm a turkey man myself. When I was a kid I was chased and bit by a peacock.

I'm thinking I'm about to dump my first batch of bad wine. It's a watermelon that I messed up. Took a sample taste today and it almost didn't go down the hatch. I'm gonna give it 3 more month and if it doesn't improve it's going down the drain.

Can you describe how you expect that Seyval Blanc to taste.

Thanks

I'm going for a crisp, fruity wine, but I have about a quart of peach wine left over that I might blend in to the 5 gallons of Seyval. So if it has a hint of peach I'm okay with that.

while i was there we have a shallow water pond of about 5 acres...it was covered up with snow geese..which was great to see....

Bottled 5 gallons of Cranberry Pomegranate, racked 11 gallons of Fredonia and 6 gallons of Concord. Cleaning buckets of tartrate crystals absolutely SUCKS. But I had one of the neighbor boys who is back in town from his first job come over for some wine and a teacher friend of mine took 2 mixed cases.

while i was there we have a shallow water pond of about 5 acres...it was covered up with snow geese..which was great to see....

Aw man. 6 weeks ago I was in North Dakota trying to hunt those things. Phenominal to watch, very difficult to hunt.

I spent most of the day working on a climate-controlled shooting house in the back of my barn. I'm not sure if it was that or racking a bunch of my wine and moving carboys around, but I tweaked my back a bit so needed to stop doing both.

On the bright side, the peach wine is really showing some promise.

Spaniel,
Watch that back! One day you tweak it, maybe like a dozen times before, then one day you tweak it so bad that you need surgery to put you back together again (isn't that a nursery rhyme?)... been there done that, I use to be able to move small buildings, always the strongest one in a crowd, always ready for the next manly job....pfffftt....not any more! Even with surgery, I can't remember the last time that my back hasn't hurt, and I mean real gnarly pain...he he

Went the gift card route for my wife's Christmas shopping. Stopped by the LHBS for some stocking stuffers for me, but it was closed. Time to go and clean more bottles and get ready to do some more racking....

At work all day.
Cant say it has been too busy. It is more like a ghost town, but gave me some quiet time to get some reports done.
about to bolt out of the office in about an hour. Head home for a party, where the whiskey, wine, beer and port!

Have a happy wednesday!

Been a while but I started a white strawberry Merlot and a blackberry Merlot. In the next couple of weeks I'll start a strawberry Lychee. Entered a local contest and came in third place with my Fredonia (added a little rhubarb).

Quaffing a couple of wines after church.... a Country Wines (from Indiana, PA) Catawba, a Wylie Winery Muscadine and currently working on a Shurina Cellars Concord.

The presents are wrapped, labeled and under the tree. The kids are old enough that I can get pleasantly tanked and sleep in. Ah, the Christmas memories....

I am celebrating Christmas on one of Florida's finest beaches, Lovers Key, with my beautiful wife Diane. Afterwards I may just start some Mango wine with the 30 pounds of frozen mango flesh from last June.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Waiting for my (crazy cat lady) wife to return from the shelter she volunteers at and for our son to wake up. Enjoying a quiet Christmas morning listening to Bill Evans "Blue in Green" album. When all are assembled it will be a day of Food, Wine and enjoying each other's company. We spend each Christmas with just the immediate family. It's the best day of the year. Here's hoping all have a splendid day with the one's you care about the most.

BC

Back