What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried out new parts for an old press.
A3FF37DB-7319-4724-9C4C-FB64FF095AA1.jpeg
I like stainless and plastic for cleanability, the old collection tray was wood showing rot, basket and press plates were OK but why not go all the way with SS,

C440D04F-2621-467B-8A16-399744ED7E62.jpeg
the screw needs to get cleaned, it was dropping dirt/ greasy flakes, and the stand ought to be strengthened, ,,,,, stuff one doesn’t realize till trying it.

Bottled my newest dessert wine, RJS Cru Specialty Gingerbread Cookie dessert wine (3 gallon kit). At bottling, it's delicious! Hubby and I both think it's more maple than ginger at this point. Decided to bottle on kit schedule rather than bulk aging for longer; maybe the ginger will be more apparent as it ages.

Attachments

• D1F01877-B458-48FC-A66C-D2B637811DF6.jpeg
    D1F01877-B458-48FC-A66C-D2B637811DF6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • B0EB6CB9-26FB-425A-9BB4-A7FDC6C213D9.jpeg
    B0EB6CB9-26FB-425A-9BB4-A7FDC6C213D9.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.34.16 PM.png

After standing behind two people who slapped down five Benjamins each, I felt kinda puny when I told the clerk I wanted a Powerball number.
"Just one?"
"Yup."
"No extas?"
"Nope."
"That'll be two dollars."
🤣
HEY, IT'S $825 MILLION AND I GOT SKIN IN THE GAME!
🤣

View attachment 94569

After standing behind two people who slapped down five Benjamins each, I felt kinda puny when I told the clerk I wanted a Powerball number.
"Just one?"
"Yup."
"No extas?"
"Nope."
"That'll be two dollars."
🤣
HEY, IT'S $825 MILLION AND I GOT SKIN IN THE GAME!
🤣
When my elder son was in 2nd grade, they were working on long division, and he was very interested in the lottery, as his grandparents often purchased scratch off tickets for the kids.

We discussed the Powerball, so I had him divide out the odds of winning (1 in 292,201,338), convert it to a percent, and round to 5 places.

"What did you get?"

"Dad, it's zero!!!" [gotta round to 7 places to get a non-zero value]

"Now you understand that lotteries are a tax on people who cannot do math."

An acquaintance recently spent $500 on tickets and was highly upset he didn't win.

I have the right to remain silent, and I chose to exercise that right ......

When my elder son was in 2nd grade, they were working on long division, and he was very interested in the lottery, as his grandparents often purchased scratch off tickets for the kids.

We discussed the Powerball, so I had him divide out the odds of winning (1 in 292,201,338), convert it to a percent, and round to 5 places.

"What did you get?"

"Dad, it's zero!!!" [gotta round to 7 places to get a non-zero value]

"Now you understand that lotteries are a tax on people who cannot do math."

An acquaintance recently spent $500 on tickets and was highly upset he didn't win.

I have the right to remain silent, and I chose to exercise that right ......

I know all about the odds, and how buying multiple tickets in the game does not improve individual odds except infinitesimally way out there from the decimal. Still, someone DOES win it every time and there are a number of lesser prizes. I'm not greedy, $100K would be fine. 😄

Yet here's another fact as solid as those odds: You CAN'T win it if you don't PLAY! Then your odds are indeed zero.

The only time I play is north of $750 million. It's worth losing $2 then. In Tennessee, all lottery profits are required by state constitutional amendment to be applied to the state's free in-state college program. Since that's been improving the overall educational level here for years and it provides an incentive for high school students to maintain a good GPA to be eligible, I'm fine with where my losses are headed.

I'm friends with the guy who owns the first 4 lottery stops across the TN border from Alabama in my county (AL does not have a lottery). I've talked to him about the retailer end of it. He's the one who wins every time. He controls that $2 between the time it is spent and the time he has to fork over TN's portion of it. The sheer amount of that float that he has from those games has enabled him to buy hundreds of rental houses and also business properties here and in Texas. You can do a lot while that transient money is in your hands. Then there's the bonuses they are paid when large prize winner tickets in any game are sold at their locations. Very nice indeed!

I know all about the odds, and how buying multiple tickets in the game does not improve individual odds except infinitesimally way out there from the decimal. Still, someone DOES win it every time and there are a number of lesser prizes. I'm not greedy, $100K would be fine.
Yeah, I play on occasion. Winning anything would be cool, although I can't say I have high (or any) expectations! 🤣

That looks great! Did you use a crane for the rafters or put them up by hand? I am contemplating something similar for a gazebo room and am worried about the weight involved in unassisted raising.
485FBD2C-6264-4676-80B8-DFFB88D8F039.jpeg

6B8EB203-9D4B-4681-ACD0-9D99122F78A0.jpeg
I used a chain hoist on a gin pole. It’s amazing how much you can lift with a small pole that is guyed out securely. The frame assembly in the second picture weighs about 900 lbs. after the upper deck was on I shortened the gin pole and set it on the upper deck to lift the rafter pairs. I actually lifted two of the frame assemblies by myself.

While I was cutting joinery I moved timbers around with a boom crane and chain hoist.
27DD10BE-743D-4932-B8D7-FD4771EC5DEF.jpeg
Work smarter… not harder!

Having some friends over for Oktoberfest dinner. The local Oktoberfest was cancelled after the hurricane so we’re having sauerbraten, knockwurst, bratwurst, red cabbage, kartoffleklöße, and beer and German wine. Pictures later.
Excellent. If you are celebrating that must mean you have had time to get the roof fronds thatched back and the storm is all but behind you?

Archery season? Here, muzzle loader opens 11/12 and rifle on 11/19. The guy who hunts on my place is beside himself with anticipation, lol. Me? I'm just hungry for venison.
Gun season opens on 11/5 - archery season is already open. Deer are small in S. TX (80lbs field dressed) but I like hunting in short sleeves.

That's a big thumbs up. Glad you made out all right. I am sure there are some pretty sad sights.
Yup. A lot of people have damage and just 15 minutes away on Pine Island a lot of people have devastation. Wiped out a lot of shops we go to on Matlacha, including a nice ice cream shop. On a happier note a little farther out on the island at St James City where a lot of things were flattened, one of my favorite take your up north visitors to tiki Bar restaurant Phuzzys waterside is still standing and will actually be reopening very soon. Great shrimp tacos, grouper Reuben’s and views.

on sad note my biggest passion fruit vine is not showing any signs of life. (I have a backup one.

Attachments

• 31A04329-3CA2-4589-BDB4-4F266902B869.jpeg
    31A04329-3CA2-4589-BDB4-4F266902B869.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6AB624A3-0209-43C3-BF86-5C8BB6764207.jpeg
    6AB624A3-0209-43C3-BF86-5C8BB6764207.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 45D1C729-B7C1-4403-9EA0-C5BF404EA4CB.jpeg
    45D1C729-B7C1-4403-9EA0-C5BF404EA4CB.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 0
Back