What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using wifi on Southwest flight from Oregon back home. We completed our all too brief tour of the Willamette Valley. An exceptionally beautiful part of the country. We stayed in a B&B called the DreamGivers Inn. Excellent choice. We tasted pinots at Patricia Green, Soter, Ponci and Willakenzie. All 4 wineries were in a beautiful setting and the owners/staff were very friendly. The pinots were great, the best being at Patricia Green. The wines are made in the Burgundian style and are more supple and delicate than Sonoma or Central Coast pinots. Tastings were free. Much less pretentiousness than Napa. We ate at the following restaurants and I recommend them all: cuvée, Recipe, Painted Lady and Rucker Wood. Painted Lady was pricey but the others had fantastic quality/value ratios. Heavy emphasis on local ingredients, Farm to Table model. On the last day we took a hike in Silver Falls State park, walking past 10 waterfalls over 8 miles. We will definitely return.

We had a late supper of A1 marinated grilled boneless ribs, cheddar broccolli rice, and a salad. I'd been begging the hubby to get the grill ready for weeks because I am scared it might have a spider inside. KY does have a decent population of brown recluses and black widows.

After supper the hubby cuddled in and did some computer work and I hit the la and filtered and bottled 5 gal Sprite Skeeter Pee, 5 gal cranberry/pomegranate, 4gal apple/cherry, and 4 gal blueberry/pomegranate. I also filtered my "Tea Pee" which IG going quite well.

BTW, this Sprite SP is DANGEROUS! I had intended it to be served over ice on poolside gatherings, so I made it STOUT! Turns out, the SodaStream syrup totally masked the alcohol taste, so one could drink A LOT before even realizing. Gonna have to be careful with this one!

I started the big thaw today. 7 freezer bag full of berries just begging to be mushed and fermented.

9aga9yqy.jpg

And there are still 2 bags in the freezer to be rendered into a fpack at a later date

Side note:

If your thawing that much stuff in a bucket put a drip tray under it. I had a stream of water making a break for it through the kitchen. Condensation was collecting on the side of the bucket and pooling on our crooked floors. Lol. Lesson learned.

Well, my consulting gig has now ended after 15 years. Although I feel like my mistress that paid me money has jilted me, I have been able to pay off my house early and put one and half kids through college by paying cash made from this part time job. Though my income will be cut by about 1/3, I now have all my Sundays to spend with family, friends and my wines. Maybe this is the kick that I need to get the professional winery going. I still have my full time job, and can pick up one day training jobs as needed. My wife is very happy that this has ended. But I'm a numbers guy....

Who else you plan on seeing?

An 11 day festival? Impressive. I have but one music festival experience, but it was fantastic. I spent 5 days at Bonnaroo and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life. I can't imagine what Woodstock must have been like.

An 11 day festival? Impressive. I have but one music festival experience, but it was fantastic. I spent 5 days at Bonnaroo and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life. I can't imagine what Woodstock must have been like.

My brother and sister were at Woodstock. I unfortunately selected to go to wrestling camp that week. Woodstock was held about 20 minutes north of the small town I grew up in.

Racked 20 gallons of various blends and back sweetened a gallon of apple to 1.000. Very tasty. Need to check acid in the other 5, adjust if needed, backsweeten, filter and start bottling.

Quick question: I picked up some apple cider to use as a filler in my strawberry batch. Didn't look and the cider has that dreaded potassium sorbate in it. No idea what the concentration would be.

Question is, if I mix it all together will the yeast still do it's thing?

I did not get to see a lot else, unfortunately. We had to camp out at one of the stages to "reserve" our seats to Bonnie Raitt. We got to see a local band and also The James Hunter Six (an English R&B/Soul group) before Bonnie took the stage. We also got to hear a bit of Dave Matthews, but from a great distance. Although we geezers didn't make it abed until 1 AM, after riding the bus home with many "spirited" twentysomethings, it was a nice evening all around.

My wife and daughter are leaving for Vail Colorado for a family wedding (her side), so the boy and I will go to a neighborhood picnic, then come back to the house and watch the firework competitions in the neighborhood. I have all weekend to work on the winery license and the wines. And I get to play Call of Duty with no one to fuss at me.

Back