What Makes A Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
Looking at all the different Port kits, and all the discussion on Ports, leads me to wonder just what is Port? Is it country of origin? Type of grape? method of making? I know many of you have made them, and of course there are kits, but in poking around the internet I see Port "styles" and Port "like" , Port style "blends" etc...So...What makes a Port?

Perhaps this will help JW

Port wine (also known as Vinho do Porto, Oporto, Porto, and often simply Port) is a sweet Portuguese fortified wine from the Douro Valley in the northern provinces of Portugal. It is often served as a dessert wine. Several imitations of Port are produced around the world in several countries—most notably Australia, South Africa, India , Canada and the United States. However, under European Union guidelines (and in Canada), only the product from Portugal may be labeled as Port. In the United States, Federal law mandates that the Portuguese-made product be labeled Porto or Vinho do Porto.

Port is produced from grapes grown and processed in the Douro region. The wine produced is then fortified with the addition of distilled grape spirits in order to boost the alcohol content. The wine is then stored and aged, often in barrels stored in caves (Portuguese meaning "cellars") as is the case in Vila Nova de Gaia, before being bottled. The wine received its name, "Port," in the latter half of the 17th century from the seaport city of Porto at the mouth of the Douro River, where much of the product was brought to market or for export to other countries in Europe from the Leixões docks. The Douro valley where Port wine is produced was defined and established as a protected region, or appellation in 1756 — making it the second oldest defined and protected wine region in the world.

We can only make "Port Style" of wines

It helps...and leads to more questions
smiley36.gif
What grapes are used from the north of Portugal? Are they available here? Are they in the Port kits? Is any wine fortified considered a port style? whew...I hate it when I think too much. I guess I'm wondering how authentic can we make it with the juice/ingredients available to us, and would the Portuguese think we are all heathens?

... and would the Portuguese think we are all heathens?

Nah. That's a French thing. And they're just jealous.

This is from a post I made in another forum about port. You will not find many kits that state what grapes they use for their port, but usually, it is a highly concentrated wine.

When it comes to traditional port, over 80 varietals are authorized for it. These are the big 5 typically used:

Touriga Nacional - (tor-EE-ga NASH-ee-oh-nal) Considered to have the most color, along with an intense black currant nose, plenty of body and powerful tannins. The backbone of most vintage ports. Known for its low yield, preference for stony soils and ripening in mid-season.

Touriga Francesa - (tor-EE-ga fran-shay-shuh) Quite different from Nacional. More delicate, it brings softness and roundness to the blend. Prefers dry soil and plenty of heat. Ripens last in the season.

Tinta Roriz - (TEEN-ta ror-EEsh) Brings firmness and length and gives "backbone" to the blend. Does better in cooler years. Ripens in mid-season. Called Tempranillo in Spain.

Tinta Barroca- (TEEN-ta bar-OSH-a) Known for ripening to higher sugar content than the other varieties. In good years, it runs a close second to Nacional for intensity of aroma, flavor and body. Requires more water than the others, so is planted at the lowest points of a vineyard. Ripens early in the season.

Tintã Cão - (TEEN-ta cow) Like Roriz, noted more for the backbone and "breeding" than for absolute power. Also contributes to the aftertaste. Ripens in mid-season.

Hey...careful there what you say about the Portuguese! I might actually have to pout and pretend that my one itty bitty feeling got hurt!
smiley36.gif

<laughing>

Bovine

Great info Dean and I have never heard of any of those, not that i know much about grapes.

Good info Dean, thanks. Waldo, what is it about the batch of port style you are making now that leads you to call it Port? Ingredients? Body? Alc %? Conc of fruit? Im trying to get my mind wrapped around this thing to fully understand.
smiley23.gif
Maybe the Chantix wont let me
smiley36.gif

JW,It would be the concentration/complexity of fuits to try and match the body, nose and mouthfeel of a real Port with a blend of fruits/juices I think might get me close.Its kinda like playing the lottey. I know the chances of winning are slim but it sure is exciting playing

JW, maybe the history of how port came to be might be of help. The English, long being fans of wine, used to get all their wines from France. At one point the English pissed off France so much that the Ruler of Bordeaux and Burgundy refused to export any more wine to Great Britain. Without their wine, the English needed to find something else. Enter Portugal! The 2nd oldest wine region! The first export from Portugal to GB was a disaster!!! The heat and constant rocking of the voyage spoiled the wine past all drinkability!!! So the Portuguese came up with a plan! Make the wine very concentrated, sweet, and high in alcohol to survive the voyage! They did just that, and thus "port" as we know it was born.

It's almost the same story as India Pale Ale, or IPA, in the beer world. Same deal...beer wouldn't make the voyage to the troops in India, so they made a very concentrated, bitter, and high alcohol beer to survive the heat and rocking sea travel had in those days.

I am familiar with the IPA story going to British troops in India, guess makes since for the port, thanks all for the replys...now, to make a Port
smiley4.gif

20071208_120919_100_0021_Medium.jpg

After much thought ,went a little off the well traveled path, will make the Orange Muscat Port for the first go at a Port.

20071208_123535_100_0023_Medium.jpg

Going through instructions and ingredients looks fairly normal, big difference would be two packs of yeast, instructed to absolutely rehydrate before pitching, and the Flavor pack that goes in after Primary. Bentonite, Sorbate, Sulfite's and Super Kleer pretty standard I think. Probably get this one going today.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

The La Bodega comes with 2 yeasts also. What is that Dessert Wine Packet though?

Looks like the instructions Wade.............
smiley36.gif

I want to know what that Horrible looking thing thing is on the right hand side of the first picture, right behind the box...................... Doesn't look like it should be there!

Edited by: jobe05

Duh!
smiley9.gif
Yes Jobe, I think your right about the instructions!!! What a moron!
23_4_131.gif

JW, I see those things on your table too!
Edited by: wade

Those must go in the New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc I ordered....er...or...ahhh, yeah.
smiley9.gif

smiley17.gif
this makes a wonderful desert wine great taste
and a little aroma,but excellent taste served cold with sliced peach or strawberry a piece of dark chocolate, ,very sweet thought, might add a small amount of orange extract gives it real zip//
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back