Free-run vs pressed-run for Port-style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonant11

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm making a port-style wine with this fall from Frontenac grapes. I'm wondering on whether I should reserve the free-run juice for my port or if it makes more sense to combine it with the pressed juice to ensure the wine has appropriate body for the style. I'm assuming that I should combine both to maximize the body, but I wanted to check-in here.

Thanks!

easy enough jut do a bench trail, take a measured amount of both say one cup combine and taste compare to the original. should give you the answer. want to get fancy combine different percentages see if a special blend is better than half half

I’m not against experimenting, but if you’re pressed for time or resources, I would just do as you suggest. Anything to increase body and complexity is well worth it.

I did a port-style a few years back and pressed and wasn't disappointed with the results (though I didn't compare it to the free run)

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll plan on tasting both before I combine them, but my plan is to use the combined wine to maximize body. If I had more carboys and a larger batch size, I'd definitely do one of each. Maybe next year!

Back