What is the best way to filter out the sediment in the wine bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
Hi forum.

I've just finished fermenting a pinot grigio from magnum.

The problem i'm getting is that after a few weeks there's sediment in some of the bottles.

how do i go about solving this problem without buying the allinone?

Copied and pasted from
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

Cold stabilization of wine is a method used to keep tartaric acid crystals from forming after the wine as been bottled. This process is referred to as cold stabilization because it is the act of cooling the wine that causes tartaric acid to form tartrate crystals, also known as wine crystals or wine diamonds.

If wines are not cold stabilized there is a chance that these crystals will form when consumers place bottles of wine in the refrigerator or store it for long periods of time. While the crystals are harmless it can be rather unsettling to find what looks like broken glass in your wine if you don’t know what it really is.

When fermentation is complete, the wine is racked into a clean secondary and moved into a cold garage, workroom or storage shed, or into a refrigerator, and allowed to age for several weeks to months at temperatures just above freezing. For overly acidic wines, a portion of the tartaric acid will precipitate out as crystals. The wine is later removed from cold storage, racked off the crystals and bottled.

A fermenting wine brought down to very low temperatures and held there for several weeks will stabilize. Some yeasts can tolerate cold better than others, but as the wine approaches its freezing temperature almost all yeasts will expire. The freezing temperature of wine depends on its alcohol content. A 12% alcohol wine will not freeze until chilled below 25 degrees F., so bringing it down to 32 or 30 or 28 degrees F. for two weeks will not endanger it but will kill off the yeast. However, do not put your wine in a freezer and leave it there as it will undoubtedly freeze solid and break the carboy.

An old refrigerator with shelves removed is perfect for year-round cold stabilization and doesn't take up too much room in the garage, basement or workroom. Adjust the temperature to its lowest setting. If the refrigerator has an internal freezer compartment, remove the divider between the freezer and refrigeration compartments so the temperature in the refrigeration compartment can drop even lower. Your goal is to get the temperature down to 40 degrees F. or lower. Leave one or two shelves in if you make your wine in gallon batches, but never ever try to put a 5-gallon carboy on a refrigerator shelf.

If you do not have an extra refrigerator available, there is a field expedient method of cold stabilization. First treat the wine with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to prevent further yeast reproduction. Then put the carboy in a plastic garbage can just big enough to leave 2-3 inches of air all around the carboy. Fill that space with ice cubes or crushed ice and sprinkle about ¼ to ½ pound of salt on the ice. Stir the ice a bit with a wooden spoon and then let nature take its course. You may get some ice formation on the insides of the carboy, but it shouldn't grow very thick. It is prudent to mark the wine level on the neck of the carboy before starting. If the wine level rises more than ¼ inch (5 mm), remove the carboy until the inside ice melts and then put it back inside the ice slurry. Add ice and salt as necessary. When the slurry loses its frigidness in a day or two, dump out the water and repeat. You'll have to keep it ice cold for at least two weeks, but this does work.

If the sediment is enough to bother you, I would uncork all of them, carefully pour back into a carboy making sure it is full and the sulfite level adequate. Then let it set for an extra month like it should have before and when clear, rack it off the sediment and bottle

Hi forum.

I've just finished fermenting a pinot grigio from magnum.

The problem i'm getting is that after a few weeks there's sediment in some of the bottles.

how do i go about solving this problem without buying the allinone?

Try using a small funnel and a coffee filter. Filter the wine as you pour it into your glass. Use this if you only have a small quantity of wine.

Well me more. How heavy of a sediment are we talking here? What temperature are you storing the wine at? Is this a dry or a sweet wine? did you add Potassium sorbate ? If so how long after adding did you bottle. Sometimes bottling after sorbate without allowing it to settle then rack will leave dust, usually only visible in white wines. and not worth re bottling over.

this was a white wine kit from grape juice concentrate.

sediment is quite heavy in 4 bottles that were near the end when i was bottling.

I'll try the coffee filter idea though as i never thought of filtering with that.

What do people here do once everything is bottled?

i.e. use the bottles as a barter of exchange?

Pinot Grigio is generally a dry wine and I doubt you would add sorbate as the kit calls to ferment to dryness without back sweetening so "sorbate dust" seems irrelevant. but no where did he say he followed the instructions! Temperature probably also irrelevant as I doubt you have acid crystals precipitating out so quickly withoutbeing at freezing temps and you are describing sediment more than wine diamonds. he was describing nothing specific. HOW Do you know exactly what he was describing from "theres sediment in some of the bottles" what is he calling sediment , In wine with high tartaric acid Crystals can precipitate any time the temperature is lowered regardless of how much. It's obvious here that you are dealing with sediment. what is obvious is some people are willing to make rash decisions based on assumption rather than complete information!

Worry about what you have to offer, Not what others have offered.

I let the wine fully ferment in a bucket and then transferred the wine,
into the carboy when the reading was 0.994 from 1.080
i stopped the fermentation with sachet 2 and left it for a day or 2.
then added 3 left it for a day and then added 4.
i then left the wine in the carboy for a few days to let any sediment settle on the bottom.
i transferred the wine to a bucket with tap and then proceeded to bottle.
however,
the wine at the bottom had some hazy sediment still floating around and this ended up in about 4 of the bottles.
now i could put all 4 bottles in a bucket and try to filter back in again but
am always looking for a out of the box solution as well.

Let the bottles stand upright til the sediment goes to the bottom. Try and pull the cork without shaking much, very slowly pour the clear wine off the top. Next time let it sit in the carboy for a couple of month at least. The sediment should all fall out and you can rack the clear wine off of it. Now let it sit for a few more days if the sediment doesn't reappear, bottle it. Drink hearty, Arne.

Latest posts

Back