what is my target free SO2 for blueberry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I finally got to racking about 4 batches this weekend, but still haven't touched my blueberry which has been sitting for nearly 10 months (ouch). Smells fine and tastes ok, in fact deciding to keep 3 gallons dry and only backsweeten 1 gallon. Anyhow, what should be target SO2 be for this. It is currently on ONE (1) ppm, tested with my Vinmetrica. Crazy. Not sure what I should be aiming for (30?) or if it should be higher for the batch I backsweeten. The pH is 3.16. If it helps we won't be touching any of this wine for an additional 6-10 months after bottling (around Feb 2014), and will be bottled in 2 months.

Since you are backsweetening I would analyze this the same as a white wine rather than red. With a ph of 3.16 you are correct in aiming at 30ppm. I would add that immediately.

I just reread and you're only sweetening 1of the four gallons. Assuming this is in four one gallon jugs shoot for 20 ppm in the 3 jugs you are not sweetening.

Latest posts

Back