What happens if you don't degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it sat at lower temps, it would not de gas on its own. If it sat on the lees for a year , it will probably have some funky tastes. If you are getting bubbles then it still has CO2. If you like it a little bubbly, bottle it and keep it in frig. If not degas it

Something doesn't seem to add up.

It sat for 1.5 years in a cool location. Bubbles are visible.

Why is it suddenly degassing now if it hasn't for all this time? If I open a can of pop and leave it in the fridge for 3 days, it will go absolutely flat. Why would wine hold CO2 indefinitely at ~50F?

Don't know the science as to why but I had a Riesling sit for a year at about 40n and it still needed degassing. It was my first batch of flying corks

I think the bubbles were there the whole time. They are so small and the basement not well lit, it wasn't until I was about to bottle that I noticed.

Either bottle and keep it chilled, or you could add a little kmeta and degass well and let it sit under airlock for another month to be on the safe side. Just depends on how soon your wanting it bottled, that would determine which route to take from this point I would say.

ok..... so now the wine is in a warmer area and I've been degassing using a paddle I bought online attached to a drill. I've been carefully mixing since I have marbles in the bottom (in a net). I haven't been degasing on a regular basis but when I do I usually spend a few minutes doing this.

the last time I stirred, there were some bubbles and foaming at the beginning and then it subsided and then after stirring for a while no foam or bubbles. Does this mean it is done? Or must there be no foaming action at all while you are stirring/degasing?

The other thing is my wine is not clear now- it was before. Does it need to settle for a few days or do you think I need to clear it again....
thanks....

I'm bettin if you let it sit it will clear again on its own. When it gets clear, rack it off the sediment and let it sit for a week or two. If it stays clear with no sediment, it is probably ready to bottle. If you are going to sweeten it, stabalize it, letit sit for a week or so, sweeten and if it stays clear when you sweeten, bottle it. Arne.

Thanks..another problem.... with my last racking and with me degassing, there is less wine. The wine is in a one gallon carboy and it is filled just a touch over the neck. Should I add more marbles or is it ok for a few weeks.

This is going to be the most expensive plum wine ever.......

Sashie, can you answer one more question? Do you know what your starting SG was and do you know what yeast you used? If you have a fairly high alcohol content, you could have a real slow ferment going. I've had batches ferment for well over a year.

Sashie, can you answer one more question? Do you know what your starting SG was and do you know what yeast you used? If you have a fairly high alcohol content, you could have a real slow ferment going. I've had batches ferment for well over a year.
I'm more interested in the current sg. If it's .996 or lower, it's not likely to be a fermentation.

Steve

I just measured and the SG is below 1.00 (at the 10 mark). I had checked this a while ago - I believe just before bottling (I had bottled about 7 months ago and afterwards found gelatin-like substances floating in my wine. So I ended up opening all the bottles and pouring the wine in a carboy).
thanks for your help

omg - I've been reading the hydrometer wrong. I just read "how to read a hydrometer for newbies"...
so I would assume my wine is in stuck fermentation.
Also to answer a previous question - I used Lalvin yeast.

You should not do anything with your wine until you have a stbile sg for at least 3 days in a row.

Well so much for replying by Tuesday
Anyway I did test three more times, but not three days in a row. However the sg reading was 1.010 every time I checked.

Well so much for replying by Tuesday
Anyway I did test three more times, but not three days in a row. However the sg reading was 1.010 every time I checked.

I'm not tracking very well.
So, how many days has it now been at an SG of 1.010?

I checked the SG yesterday, Jan. 24, on 1/14, 16 or 17 and 20th. Every time the sg was 1.010.

If I remember, the wine is a dessert wine. If so, is the wine sweet? Did you back sweeten it?

If you did back sweeten, that is why your SG is 1.010.

Latest posts

Back