What happens if you don't degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, it is a dessert wine and it is sweet. I did not backsweeten however.

OK, sorry but I am not following you very well.

If the wine is sweet, the SG is going to reflect that by being well above an SG of 1.000. If it starts fermenting again and ferments to dry, the wine will no longer be sweet, you will have to back-sweeten it to make it sweet.

So, are you trying to ferment it again? If so, why?

If you had previously added sorbate, it is not likely the wine will start fermenting again.

Again, sorry I am not following well.

sorry I'm not clear but this is all new to me.

If the SG for sweet wine is normally 1.010, then I'm ok. I'm not looking to ferment, I just want to bottle the wine - it's been over a year and a half since I started this and it's making me crazy. I added the sorbate about one month ago and the wine looks clear. I didn't want to bottle because I noticed tiny bubbles. that's how this thread started - should I degas or not.

sorry I'm not clear but this is all new to me.

If the SG for sweet wine is normally 1.010, then I'm ok. I'm not looking to ferment, I just want to bottle the wine - it's been over a year and a half since I started this and it's making me crazy. I added the sorbate about one month ago and the wine looks clear. I didn't want to bottle because I noticed tiny bubbles. that's how this thread started - should I degas or not.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am sure you are frustrated by now.

An SG of 1.010 represents some sweetness in the wine. If you add more sugar, the SG reading will go up. Don't worry about the SG, if the wine is as sweet as you want it. At this point, it is not important.

Your wine is old enough to have lost a lot of the tartness that comes with a very young wine. Some of us get the taste of a young, tart wine mixed up with the taste of CO2 in the wine. You should not have that problem at this stage. As a result and at this point, if you taste the wine, you should be able to tell if it still needs degassed or not. here's how:

If tasting the wine produces a tingly, fizzy, sparkling feeling on your tongue, that is CO2 and it needs to be removed (degassed). Champagne is a good example; it is loaded with CO2; that's what makes it "sparkle" or tingle. If your wine is not a champagne, it should not have that sparkle or tingle; not even a little bit.

If it still has CO2, first, if the wine still has sediment in the bottom of its container, rack the wine completely off that sediment before you try to degas it, because degassing it will stir all that sediment back up into your wine.

Make sure the wine is warmed up to something around 74F. Stir the wine really well for a minute or so. If it is degassing, you will see small bubbles come to the surface. After each stir, let it set for about 5 minutes, then taste it again. Repeat this process until the CO2 (tingly, fizzy feeling) is gone.

Once it is all gone, you can bottle it.

An alternative for your first batch:
If you choose to leave the CO2 in the wine, you can still bottle it, but you will have to decant each bottle before you drink it, so the CO2 can escape. This was the case for my first batch of wine. What is left of it is still loaded with CO2, so I just decant it for several hours, shaking it up a little every thirty minutes or so, until the CO2 is gone.

It's not the end of the world if you open a bottle and it still has CO2. However, it does make it a little uncomfortable to give it as a gift. I never gift any of my first batch for that very reason.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the helpful info.

one question however - what if i don't mind a little tingle? I heard so much about exploding bottles - what are the chances of that happening if i don't degas (if in fact it needs degassing?)
thanks again

Thanks so much for the helpful info.

one question however - what if i don't mind a little tingle? I heard so much about exploding bottles - what are the chances of that happening if i don't degas (if in fact it needs degassing?)
thanks again

If you don't mind a little tingle? Champagne is literally loaded with CO2. Problem is, you likely don't have enough CO2 to produce a "good" tingle, but just enough to make the wine have a sort of bitter, irritating taste.

If you want a tingle, you should make a true sparkling wine out of it. There are threads on this forum about how to do that, but it can be a challenge.

Pop the corks? If you have degassed the wine at all and if you at least try to degas again this time, I doubt you will have enough CO2 to blow the corks.

To be safe do this -
1) Use a #9 cork on regular wine bottles. It is the recommended size, anyway.
2) Get the wine temperature up to about 74F at bottling time. If the wine is really cold and you bottle it with CO2, when the wine warms up, it is more likely to blow a cork.

Sorry guys should i keep my wine in the carboy tightly closed or start degassing immediately and for how long?

Sorry guys should i keep my wine in the carboy tightly closed or start degassing immediately and for how long?

Needs some info. What have you done so far; what step are you at? What wine are you making? Fresh/frozen grapes, fruit wine, or kit wine?

Latest posts

Back