What grapes are you growing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in zone 5A : -20 to -15 degrees F. I thought about being more aggressive and growing Corot Noir, Vignoles, etc. but decided to go with hardier varieties. So far, I think that was the right choice. 2 of the past 5 years have seen winters that reached below -15.

H

Thanks, I've added some of your vines listed to my research list. I do reds and the only green grape I have is a Neptune seedless for the table.

I should say they are all on VSP except the LS. They are on TWC. I should have put them on VSP because no matter how hard I prune, they get too top heavy and they are difficult to spray on top and underneath. I’ve tried to switch to VSP but they refuse. Petite Pearle is looking very promising up here. I wish I could grow Chamborcin. Makes a good wine.

I should say they are all on VSP except the LS. They are on TWC. I should have put them on VSP because no matter how hard I prune, they get too top heavy and they are difficult to spray on top and underneath. I’ve tried to switch to VSP but they refuse. Petite Pearle is looking very promising up here. I wish I could grow Chamborcin. Makes a good wine.

Hmmm, on the Double A website, they recommend TWC for Marquette and Sabrevios. I suppose you can grow them anyway you want. How do they fruit for you? I can grow Chamborcin, but have selected more resistant varieties (so far). This year I'm delving into Cab Franc and would like to plant Marquette next year.

Hmmm, on the Double A website, they recommend TWC for Marquette and Sabrevios. I suppose you can grow them anyway you want. How do they fruit for you? I can grow Chamborcin, but have selected more resistant varieties (so far). This year I'm delving into Cab Franc and would like to plant Marquette next year.
Sab does just fine and is a pretty good producer of grapes. My Marquette vines grow like wild but produce only a fair amount of clusters. I hedge the heck out of them. I have to or the rows would grow into each other. I have 10’ row spacing. It makes a very good wine. Petite Pearl has reasonable TA at harvest I am told and have read. If I had another acre, I would plant them. I’m all maxed out at 3 acres.

Sab does just fine and is a pretty good producer of grapes. My Marquette vines grow like wild but produce only a fair amount of clusters. I hedge the heck out of them. I have to or the rows would grow into each other. I have 10’ row spacing. It makes a very good wine. Petite Pearl has reasonable TA at harvest I am told and have read. If I had another acre, I would plant them. I’m all maxed out at 3 acres.

I have about 20 acres to fill, or more if I get crazy and clear land.

Good luck. Being just a one man operation, I find that 3 acres is the limit to take care of effectively. I employ an Amish family to help prune, plant and harvest. I do the rest.

Hopefully as I go along, I'll get more family involved. And I have plenty. I already have family lined up for harvest next year. As for the rest, I'm retired and this is my main endeavor right now (other than property maintenance and mowing).

Back