What do you wish you knew when you started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayden

Such a novice it hurts
Reaction score
"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger!"

Experienced winemakers... what are some things you wish you knew when you started, that you've perhaps since found out the hard way? Such as buying overly expensive equipment, etc.?

I wish I had pursued the commercial vineyard route when I planted my first vineyard in 1978. I should have had faith that better grapes would come along to grow here in the cold regions that we have today. I had a 60 acre vegetable farm at the time and was hoping to grow more fruit and make some wine. Low prices and lack of vine options at the time discouraged me from ever moving past a small vineyard. Now that I have a commercial vineyard I am going on 60 years old.

I dunno, to me it's a journey and what you learn is what makes the journey worthwhile. My one big wish is that I had been older when my grandfather was alive so that I could have learned how to make wine in the Old World tradition. I use the modern methods, which work fine and assure consistent quality, but I always hope to find someone to learn some things from who is still doing it the old way.

You bunch of young whipper snappers, I'm comming up on 74, and pretty fast. Wish I had started this wine makeing 50 years ago, if I had, I would probably have just about figured it out by now.
Semper Fi

You bunch of young whipper snappers, I'm comming up on 74, and pretty fast. Wish I had started this wine makeing 50 years ago, if I had, I would probably have just about figured it out by now.
Semper Fi

Hey neighbor. I'm in Fayetteville and at 54, I reckon I still got some dew back of them ears. And I intend to shade it as long as I can to keep it from evaporating!

:)

Anybody who uses the term "young whipper snappers" is all right by me!

I wish I would have purchased a vacuum pump right away. They are expensive to ship to Canada and for some reason hard to find here so I got a mighty vac to "save money". FYI: Carpal tunnel and Mighty Vac make for some pretty painful evenings of de-gassing. I am purchasing a vaccuum pump this summer to hoefully have delivered to a campground I will be at for vacation if I can find a suppier to do that. Other than that, I have just sat back and enjoyed the ride as I continue to learn.

millwright01 said:
I wish I would have purchased a vacuum pump right away. They are expensive to ship to Canada and for some reason hard to find here so I got a mighty vac to "save money". FYI: Carpal tunnel and Mighty Vac make for some pretty painful evenings of de-gassing. I am purchasing a vaccuum pump this summer to hoefully have delivered to a campground I will be at for vacation if I can find a suppier to do that. Other than that, I have just sat back and enjoyed the ride as I continue to learn.

Have you checked out lab suppliers like VWR? I know they have a Canadian supply service. You can find oil less diaphragm pumps there. Ca.vwr.com

Fisher scientific is another large r&d lab supplier.

Latest posts

Back