What do you make of this? oxidation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is 6 gallons of Chardonell form last years harvest in bulk aging. Not sure if it is oxidation or some tannin I added floating to the top. It was vacuume racked/degassed back in may with 1/8 tsp K meta added at the time.
anyones thoughts?
I am thinking of either racking the top off or rack from the bottom and seperate, or just stir it all together.

wine charms 006.jpg

That was the next jug to go into cold stabilization so I was not too worried about the head space because it was to be bottled soon.

Lots of head space as John said. Going into cold stabilization is more critical then ever to be topped up. Cold will consume oxygen way faster then room temperature wine.

I am not sure what you're looking at. Is tit the darker 1/4 of the carboy on top? I thought it was just the wine clearing or am I missing something. How does it taste?

I agree- totally too much room in the top. I also agree with Dan about it looking like the top has cleared more than the lower part. The lower part looks cloudy to me.

When in doubt, let it be. Looks like it is clearing on its own.....but do top off plz.

Last edited:
Yup, top is brown, and is slow to clear. Started off with 5 six gallon carboys of chardonell and this is the only one like this. I was going to rack to two 3 gallon carboys to fit in the fridge for CS so there would be a bit less space in at least one. Already bottled one carboy and has a lot of TA in it, did not CS. Have the second one in the fridge now and this was to be the third. The others look fine.
Have not tasted it yet.

Try some super kleer on it and see if it clears up. I would not cold stabilize until you fix the first problem. If it does clear but remains dark you could always try PVPP. It has to be put in solution first then stirred in real good for about ten minutes. It works usually within 24 hours.It will strip some of the color depending on how much you use but also keep in mind it will also strip some flavor.

I would treat the entire batch first. Right after adding a clairifier rack down to a 5 gallon carboy and maybe a 1/2 gallon jug. Use this jug for topping up with later.

Latest posts

Back