Mosti Mondiale What cleared out of my Barolo?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark500

Reaction score
My Granbarolo had aged for about a year in the carboy, andI have maintained thesulfite levels well, I think.
I decided to bottle it next week. So I added the siligel and liquigel per Mosti instructions. It's been about 4 days since then, and a lot of sediment is now seen at the bottom of the carboy. The wine looked very clear before I added the clearing/fining agents. Why is there more sediment than I expected? Will this improve the taste any?
So I guess I will rack it after 7-10 days, let it sit a day or two, add sorbate, and bottle.

Fining agents will always find something to react with, thats their job. It is now even clearer than before. Did it improve the taste, nope, thats not its job, its job is to make your wine clear and some people believe that any fining agents will strip a wine of some amount of flavor.

Letting it sit for a week or two is a good idea as it will settle even a bit more still. This is why I always fine early and then let it sit for a couple of months to settle out.

Sorbate is optional at this point as long as the wine was fermented to dry and you sanitized things properly.

I agree with above and I too always fine early if I do plan on using a fining agent.

Latest posts

Back