What can I reasonably expect?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
After several years of using kits, Mr Abby and my self have branched out into trying other things. I am trying my first mead using this recipe:
Fall Metheglin
==============
1 cup Dried apple
2 large Cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon Dried lemon peel or rind of 1 fresh lemon
12 Cloves
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 gallon Water
7 Bay leaves
1 Inch bruised ginger
1 tablespoon Dried orange peel or rind of 1 fresh orange
7 Allspice berries
3 pounds Dark honey
1 package yeast

Place all ingredients except honey, raisins and yeast in a 2 gallon
pan. Simmer for 1 hour, then add honey, bring mixture to a boil and
skimming off scum. Boil 15 minutes, then cool to luke warm, strain out
fruit, and place in primary fermenter for about 7 days. Rack into econdary fermenter, and let ferment for about 2
months or until fermentation has ceased and mead has cleared. Bottle
and let age for at least 6 months.

Now, when I began my sg was 1.22 (higher than anything I had ever done before). During my first week, my brew didn't seem to be doing anything, so I reviewed several sources, so I repitched my yeast with the addition of a handful of raisins and stirred with a passion twice a day. This improved things markedly, and things burbled and fizzed happily. After about 2 weeks the initial fermentation subsided, and I transferred to a secondary fermenter and the sg was 1.14.

That was about 3 weeks ago, yesterday I took a measurement and my sg was 1.10. It looks as if fermentation has stopped - no tiny bubbles, and fermentation lock is motionless. Carboy temp is kept about 68-70F.

Now this is my quandry, has my fermentation ceased or stuck? and what reasonably can I expect as an ending sg?

Any insights welcome..

Hi, I new to the forum but have lots of experience with meads. First oh my that is a large selection of spices and this may take the mead some time to incorporate them all so please be patient. What kind of dark honey did you use? Typically darker honeys can increase aging time, but the best rule of thumb is to get the best honey you can. There is a big difference between honey from a fresh market and honey from Sam's, they both will be good but you can get awesome form the fresh stuff. Now the big question - what yeast did you use? If the yeast was only good to 12-14% then then yes the yeast could be finished. I have never had a SG reading higher the 1154 and used Eau De Vie liquid yeast and it did make to 20% but I really had to baby it. Of course it could have been as simple as the yeast not being mixed well with the water because 3 lbs. should get you in the 1090 range or so.

Next time you try this don't boil the honey, there is no need and all you do is boil away the delicate aromas. I clean and sanitize my blender and mix the honey a little at a time with water until everything is mixed up nicely. This not only helps get the honey and water blended but it also adds lots of air to help the yeast do their thing.

I had to make an adjustment in the honey: Dark was unavailable to me so, I used wildflower honey bought from my local beekeeper. Knowing the area, and the fact that most beekeepers around here rent their hives out for pollination, I would guess the honey would be probably wild blueberry more than anything else. I understand and agree with your statement about the quality of the honey, though: You can't expect a good result with poor ingredients.

It is the spice mix that appealed to me in the first place as it is a mead that is typically consumed around Christmas, with the citrus peel and winter spices. I don't expect this to be any where near drinkable for at least a year. (If there is anything wine making has taught me, it's that good things take time :) )

I guess I what I am looking for is an indication of whether or not I am heading in the right direction and what to look out for.

oh, and the yeast was good to 18%

Last edited:
I think you are headed in the right direction especially if you give this a at least 3 years. Local honey, possibly blueberry... I would pick up another 5 lbs or so along with some blueberries and make a Blue Blue mead.

As far as the one you are working on, with out knowing the yeast and verifying the SG (is it 1014 or 1140?), you may do best by racking it degassing it and put it in a dark corner. Just check the airlock every month or so and let time do its thing. I really think you may have gotten an incorrect SG reading. I made something similar with lots of Christmas spices, its all right on its own but make an outstanding mulled wine. I made it in 2007 and we open a bottle every year have a couple of glasses and the rest gets mulled.

Nice to be here grapeman and its always nice to make new friends.

Yep, vcasey is pretty much the mead expert from FVW's! If you need mead info vcasey is the one with a lot of experience!

Yep, vcasey is pretty much the mead expert from FVW's! If you need mead info vcasey is the one with a lot of experience!
Good :r As the only mel, cyser or whatever that I make is JAO, otherwise only traditionals :b

Oh, and I still say, that the best yeasts for traditionals, by a country mile, are D21 and K1V-1116 :gb

Latest posts

Back