What are your thoughts...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
...about combining two 3 gallon kits (chocolate raspberry port) into one 6 gallon batch. Do you use both kits' additives? Or do you use just one set? I don't mean the flavor packs but the yeast, sorbate, oak, bentonite, and k-meta.

I would double up all of them, with the possible exception of the yeast, but I think I would also double that. Since it is a port, you want a good strong yeast count. Definitely need all the rest of them double to get the correct concentrations.

I dont know if I would dble the kmeta but everything else I would, This kit is still having problems with stopping early though just so everyone knows.

I would certainly double the k-meta. If you don't you are effectively cutting the normal dose in half. The packet only has enough in it for the proper dose at 3 gallons so if you make six gallons you need two packets.

I compared CRP packets and the packets in a 6 gallon WE kit. I didn't open the other kit's packet but did it by feel. The k-meta felt exactly the same in both kits but the sorbate packet was definitely less in the CRP. I ended up using one packet of bentonite, one of the oak, and three of the four packs of yeast. I started the port this morning and the yeast is already working. Wade, I had no trouble with the 4 batches (12 gallons) finishing although it took a bit longer. Now I wonder...should I add the other pack of oak?

They are the same size for all batches hence why I said that. I dont think it would be over sulfited though with the extra packet and would add it after the 3 months of aging. They dont change packaging for some reason between 3 and 6 gallon batches nor does RJS.

That I would add as I did when i made my dble batch of this and I never even really tasted it.

I should have known Wade would know what he was saying ( I just thought maybe he made a typo or misread it and wanted you to be sure). He has made the kit before where I haven't. I was speaking from normal experience and don't have a packet in front of me.

Joan, why don't you take the extra packet of k-meta out of curiosity, open it and pour it onto a piece of paper with a fold in it(but keep the fold open while pouring). Take and pour it into a 1/4 teaspoon measure and see if it is a quarter teaspoon or a 1/8 teaspoon.

Another way (short of scales) is to look at the packet. Sometimes they have the weight stamped on the packet.

Gang, I am doubling my batch of CRP also, like Joan. The consensus from everyone is to use ALL the ingredients from both kits???
smiley2.gif

I used both bags of oak, one bentonite, and 3 packs of yeast. I will eventually add the 2 f-packs, both sorbates and one k-metta. I'm only adding one because the k-metta packets are 4 grams each--the same as I have in a 6 gallon batch of WE Chardonnay.

Looks like the way I would go as the bentonite packs are the same also but more of that wouldnt hurt any. Save 1 and use it for another batch of wine.

Back