Other What are your favorite inexpensive "everyday" kit wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Labels [make my own for those bottles leaving the house], capsules (shrink caps?) and corks included.

I would want to know how this Amazon wine compares to lets say a $75.00 RJS VdV.

Last edited:
I wonder if that compares to the RJS Winery Series, maybe?
I know Maltose has some Mosti Mondiali for $99 on sale, no water added also.

I wonder if that compares to the RJS Winery Series, maybe?
I know Maltose has some Mosti Mondiali for $99 on sale, no water added also.

I got a MM White Zinfandel from them @ the $99.00 price. I think it came out decent enough.

Believe Tess said they we're getting out of carrying MM but will, I think she said, have some other brand added. I'll likely get there to buy another kit end of this month or beginning of next. If I remember to ask I'll find out if they'll be carry something else in place of MM.

Another good (home) winery in the region!

I can't wait to see how my Okanagan Valley Pinot turns out.

Cheers.

How far along are you? Did you do any tweaks? Mine is four months old and I am thinking about stealing a taste later today....

Did you buy this Amarone?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELJK1E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not a bad price for $90 shipped, no water adding needed...actually looks so cheap that I wonder about the quality of that brand....

I've never made one of those and will be looking for an Amarone in a near future.

That's the one I made. My wife states it's as good, or better, than any commercial wine at $10 plus.

Look up Joe's thread about tweaking an Amarone and then the quality is over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest many of them. They all work.

I've had a lot of compliments with the Amarone. Use Joe's, out of the box tweaks, and you've got a great wine, cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Reserve%20Du%20Chateau%206%20Week%20Wine%20Kit%20

I made a box Orvieto kit from Reserve Du Chaeau I bought through Amazon and I have to say for my taste, it is undrinkable. The must was a really dark orange and the wine came out almost a Iridescent dark yellow. I even emailed the manufacturer about the off color ad here was thier response. "Hello, in fact last year we had one juice concentrate that was a little bit darker than usual. But this will not change the taste of your wine at all. Unfortunately we cannot lighten it up.
Thank you for choosing Paklab Products,"
Which meant to me;basically just deal with it. Needless to say I was un-impressed with their customer service.
Maybe it was just not my type of wine. Very heavy and too sweet. The bucket might be ok though.

Lori

Yesterday we realized we were running out of our first kit a MM vinifera noble cabernet that we use to top up. It is 11 mos old now and we wanted to save some until it is 2 years old just to see...esp since it was our first kit. We quickly ordered the WE coastal red. $65 plus $14 shipping to mix up and use as a topping off wine, though I've read other folks says its good if you let it age long enough.

Yes, I could justify the extra $2 a bottle for a $125 kit but there are only so many wine dllars in our house. For us, an inexpensive kit for topping off and the beach is worth it rather than just buying the higher end kits.

Some retailers will list reviews of each wine on their sites -you could read these to see if it sounds like something that would suite your taste.

How far along are you? Did you do any tweaks? Mine is four months old and I am thinking about stealing a taste later today....

Its in bulk now and I'll probably bottle in a few weeks to free up the carboy. I did tweak by adding some Booster Rouge, Opti-Red and Tannin FT Rouge. Stole a sample recently and it was promising. Not much fruit at this point (cranberry) but good acidity and tannin. I'll probably sample the first bottle in September or thereabouts.

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. I've got lots to go on. On my list are MM Vinifera Noble series, CC Sterling series, WE Coastal Red, WE Trinity White, etc. Though I'll probably try and stick with more budget whites, since most agree smaller kits turn out better whites than red.

Thanks again!

How is yours coming along? I tried a split today and was pleasantly surprised. This is only my second red and is only 6 months old. I have a 7+ month old Mezza Luna Red that I'm not impressed with, still has some kit taste and green young wine flavors, but this Pinot Noir is pretty nice, fairly shy on the nose, but some pretty bold black cherry on the palate and with no off-flavors. I was also surprised that it is what I would call medium-bodied and I thought it would be lighter. I hope it continues to develop and show some more complexity, but I may open my first full bottle in another month or two. It gives me some hope for 10-12 L red kits.

Very pleased with the Okanagan Pinot. All I added was some medium plus french oak and it is a very nice early drinker. Would definitely buy it again.

Latest posts

Back