WineXpert What are the best kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericp

Junior
Reaction score
I've made about 7 kits, all fromSelection (or whateve their company is called) so far. I'm about to branch out try to try an Alexander Sun Valley Gewurtztraminer.

Anyway, I'd like to solicit suggestions for:

The best kit types (Selection, RJ Spagnols, Alexander)

The best dry reds within kit type (Vintners's Reserver Pinot noir,

Old vines Zin, etc).

So far I haven't seen much correlation what I pay and what I prefer. For instance, the Selection's Lodi Old Vines Zin is much less interesting and enjoyhable that Selection's Vintners' Reserve Rioja at half the price.

Comments are encouraged and welcomed.

Whatever your taste buds tell you is the best.
smiley1.gif

It is all a matter of personal taste and how long you want to let it age. The Lodi Zin for example will be best after 2-3 years aging. I don't know how old yours is but if it's young, put some back and you'll be surprised how it develops. I personally perfer 15-16L kits. I particularly like the Winexpert estate series (and the luna rossa from the Selection series) but I do let them age a minimum of 1 year before I start tasting but I keep some for 2+ years. I have a couple crushendos going and they seemed very promising but I will age them a couple of years. I usually get a few of the limited editionsfor variety and so far have been very pleased. For quick drinking I made white wines like sauvignon blanc. Everyone has their own preferences but I think for dry reds, the best are the bigger kits. I have heard good things about the VR mezza luna though--I've never tried it personally.

I agree with Jackie, it really depends on ones taste. I have heard a lot of good things about Cellar Craft's skin pack kits and am awaiting a delivery of an amarone kit. Not a big dry wine drinker, but this one sounded to good to pass on.

Jackie,

How'd your Luna Rossa turn out? I've gota Luna Rossa in the clearing stage right now. Is it similar to a Chianti?

Thanks.

My favorite red is the Vintners Reserve Mezza Luna Red by WinExpert. I have made the Luna Rosa a couple of times and it is very good, but for every day use i would go for the MLR.

But it is hard to say which is best. It is very subjective. It's all a matter of personal preference. It could be that a can of Alexanders concentrate will suit your fancy. That is up to you. There are hundreds of kits and just as many opinions about what is good. Even hundreds of opinions about how to make the wine.
smiley1.gif

Good Luck.

What the others have said so far answer a lot of questions. It is what ever trips your trigger. Actually, most of the kit manufacturers make fine products. It is all in what you want your product to do.

I have made mostly Wine Expert Selection kits but I have tried a few Cellar Craft kits and they are fine as well. I have made a few lower line Vintners Reserve kits for the purpose of a much earlier wine and so far, they have been great as well. I am now awaiting the deliveries of my WE Limited Edition Series kits. These will all be put back to age while I enjoy all the other lower line kits I have made and are turning out quite nice.

Normally I have a reason for making the particular wine such as my 3 kits of Vintners Reserve reds I have going are all going to be donated to my church for communion wine. I have a Cellar Craft Amarone kits aging now and from my "little samples" so far, it is WOW!

The great thing about this hobby or passion as I have come to call it is that we have the fortunate opportunity to try all these different styles and kits. If you make one you don't really care for then mark it up as experience but never throw it away. Put it back to age and try it later. You might be nicely surprised a few months down the line or a couple years later. Remember, the wines you buy in the stores are normally at least 2 years old and most are at least 3.

Keep asking your question here and learn from the responses. There are many experts here along with numerous knowledgeable newbies that are always willing to share their experiences and pass along what they have learned. You can read all the books you want, but here is where I learn!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Is the wine blessed during fermentation, or after it is bottled?

Hippie said:
Is the wine blessed during fermentation, or after it is bottled?

It is blessed after it is bottled, Actually, communion wines (at least in the Catholic and Episcopal Church's)are blessed during the communion ceremony as well.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the combination of honest answers (that is depends on what I prefer) and suggestions.

In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I started sampling the Old Vines Zin. within weeks of bottling it. I loved the aroma in the carboy but didn't like the flavor of early bottles. It has now been 5 months since bottling and has much improved. I realize that sampling so early in the aging cycle goes against the Wine Estates recommendations. However, it is a way to learn.

In the responses I've gotten I've appreciated the "just experiment, see what happens, and enjoy the process" attitude of the responders. I'm almost incapable of doing what I'm told and prefer to experiment, which is why I'm trying to make wine in the first place.

BTW, what I've seen so far, in my 6 months of doing this, is that adding oak will be a useful place to focus. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions about oak essence, power, chips and cubes, and of regional varieties (French, American, and Hungarian).

Eric

Back