Mosti Mondiale Well......I learned!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwinedude

Seed Separator
Reaction score
What that wine volcano was all about!

Working a MM Vinfera Noble Sangiovese

Transferred into Carboy at 1.049 after adding nutrient and wallah!

Nice little mess...

Anyway, any suggestions for the future

thanks

For the time being, I separated the batch

3 gallon in carboy
3 gallon in primary bucket

anyone foresee any problems with this?

thanks

No problems at all. I dont like those instructions at all and would never follow them IMO. Its just asking for trouble unless you use a vessel wit much more room or the 2 vessels like you are doing now!I just dont understand why they would suggest doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't transfer the wine with the SG so high would be my advise as well. You are moving the liquid while its at a very stage from a fermenter, a place were it has lots of room to expand to a carboy were it does not.
In this case I would not like cleaning up the lost wine or the mess it made in my kitchen.

thanks for your responses.... this was my first MM kit so I thought I would be studious and follow the instructions....

I was suprised that MM included nutrient with their kit. This is obviously what pushed the wine over the edge "
smiley4.gif

This thing screamed down from its original S.G. of 1.092 to 1.049...

Suffice to say I will be topping up with a little more wine then I expected...but thats OK....still looking forward to it

I concur- racking at 1.049 is asking for trouble. Then adding nutrient is a catalyst for foam as it forces the gasses out of a very active fermentation. I would wait to transfer until 1.010 and then add the nutrient. The nutrient aids the uyeast in their final push and isn't needed at that high of a SG.

Couldn't you add the nutrient in the primary around 1.010 or so, then let it sit a few days or maybe let it settle down then transfer?

You could do that also, but at that SG it won't be real active. The transfer adds a bit of oxygen, helping feed the yeast and creating just a bit of extra gases to fill the secondary with protective gases. I keep the extra wine (leave the carboy level down a few inches) in a bottle with airlock and then after it settles down and is almost finished, bring it up to just below the top.

Remember there are many ways to do everything and none are right or wrong- some just make less mess than others.

Lots of us just leave it in the primary, add nutrient (and oak if included) at ~ 1.035. That way if/when it foams you have a large enough surface area to help dissipate the "volcano".

Lots of us have done this once........

ibglowin said:
Lots of us just leave it in the primary, add nutrient (and oak if included) at ~ 1.035. That way if/when it foams you have a large enough surface area to help dissipate the "volcano".

Lots of us have done this once........
smiley20.gif

I agree with ibglowin. If you have a fermentor bucket that has a lid, which seals well (like the lids/buckets George sells), just leave it in the primary and be sure to use an air lock. It will also give your wine more time with the kit's raisin or grape pack, which ever it has.

A few weeks back when I was doing my first MM kit, and it said to transfer at 1.040 I came on here and started to ask questions. A smart person said that he justs lets it stay in the primary the hole time. And thats what I did. When the Sg was about .998 for a few days, thats when I racked it to a carboy. To many people on the forums warned me that you may get a surprice if you rack it at 1.040, and there where right!!!

thanks again

My instructions said to rack between 1.040 and 1.050....

Unfortunately, i learned the hardway. Honestly, I don't see a need for the nutrient whatsoever.

I believe these kits will ferment to dry without it......

Its a shame the MM won't change these instructions....quite redicoulous to say the least

With all the forum members, who have had the same problem, I am surprised Mosti has not come out with some clearer instructions.

At least I would say that after adding the yeast nutrient to the primary fermentor bucket, close it up and wait one more full day, then transfer. In most(?) cases, that might allow time to slow the foaming caused by the nutrient.

Latest posts

Back