Welch's wine????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White? Let that sucker age a year. Please post your exact recipe details including starting sg, ending sg (before sweetening) final sg (after sweetening).

Started 4/26
6 gal batch
21 cans white grape
2 cans white grape / peach
1 can Apple
15 oz golden raisins
Starting sg 1.090

Cotes des Blanc yeast pitched 4/28

5/3 1.001 racked and removed raisins
5/13 .998 racked k meta and sorbate
Degass

I don't believe I sweetened it because I wanted off dry. Probably should have

Bottled 6/3. Also should have bulk aged longer. I have wine diamonds in the bottles now

Nothing really tastes off. I just think I don't care for the flavor. If I ever try again I will leave the raisins out and use less concentrate. Just seams to be too much Welch's for me. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon with John and stay away from Welch's

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411511041.577913.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411524842.894034.jpg

The sample sweetened to 1.010 is much better. I don't know if I would go so far as to call it good. But I could see that changing with some time. .997 is way to dry for this wine. Thank you dralarms for your help. Somehow I went through 10 bottles already. I might pour all 20 remaining bottles into a carboy and sweeten. Then re bottle. That just made my night

calvin,
Couple of things. The Welchs's white is going to have a different taste associated with it. With all of the Welch's, as with most fruit wines, you need to backsweeten them to around 1.010 to get some flavor out of them.
As far as the Welch's concord, it is drinkable within a month or two. I have made it by running it dry, then backsweeten or my wife's favorite, jswordy's super sugar method. Start the SG around 1.145 and let it ferment down. Will stop around 1.025-1.030 with 13-14%ABV

How come I never thought of that???

I have made it by running it dry, then backsweeten or my wife's favorite, jswordy's super sugar method. Start the SG around 1.145 and let it ferment down. Will stop around 1.025-1.030 with 13-14%ABV

How come I never thought of over-sugaring and letting it stop using a lower tolerance yeast... Wow... I must be DENSE!!!!

How come I never thought of over-sugaring and letting it stop using a lower tolerance yeast... Wow... I must be DENSE!!!!

By doing so, you are letting the yeast control your ABV and residual sugar. If they decide to quit at 1.050, you have an overly sweet drink. If they keep going to 1.010, you'll have rocket fuel. Like you said, you can control it to a certain extent with the type of yeast. But why give up control to an organism that won't listen to you? :sm

Gina,
Not my idea, I have to give it up to jswordy. haha

Yes, you are letting the yeast control your ABV but after making a couple batches mine always finish between 13-14% ABV. As long as you keep the variables the same, the results will be close to the same everytime and it isn't a guessing game anymore.

I make wines mostly by running them dry then backsweetening but I do like to make this as it keeps my bride happy. It is one of her favorites as she likes the sweet wines.

Opened another bottle tonight. I actually like this wine now. (Sorry John). It's coming around nicely. Been in the bottle since 6/3/2014. I wonder how long this will improve for? Maybe I'll try another batch?

Last edited:
Just sitting down to a nice glass of Welch's wine, properly aged for many hours.

But mainly, I just wanted to say - that video in the first post is absolutely hilarious.

IMG_1142.jpg

Latest posts

Back